Chervona Kalyna Avenue

Chervona Kalyna Avenue, Lviv, Ukraine

Chervona Kalyna Avenue Lviv Reviews

vicIII vicIII
Visiting the Sleeping Districts Apr 13, 2017
I was privileged to pay a visit to the south-eastern outskirts of Lviv – the area that I had seen from High Castle Mount. I took 4A bus from Liberty Avenue and was uptown in about half an hour.

Chervona Kalyna Avenue ("Red Viburnum Avenue" in English) is the main street in this district. It is 3.5 miles long.

I was amazed by the amount of construction here in Sykhiv. This place makes you forget you are in Lviv and you start thinking what city you have found yourself in.

An ultramodern style church will catch your eye. It is Nativity of Virgin Mary Greek Catholic Church. It was built from 1996 until recently.

In 2010, Correspondent magazine included Sykhiv District into ten Ukraine’s most disadvantaged residential areas with a high level of unemployment, big concentration of underclass element and high criminal rate. I will not argue since I did not live there...

As some researchers say, Sykhiv ,with respect to Lviv, stands as the epitome of foreignness, otherness, and this area is in strong contrast to the historic city center. I believe the same could be said about any big city in Ukraine. No matter how attractive and charming the downtown area is, any big city’s outskirts leave much to be desired. Those outskirts are often called sleeping districts with us.

Sykhiv District Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MEcIvQ1juY

An aerial video of Sykhiv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zd6aU5KiAw
Visiting Sykhiv District
Visiting Sykhiv District
Brand new apartment houses in Sykh…
The church in Sykhiv District