Chengdu Mix Hostel (Backpacker's Guesthouse)

Xinghui West Road, Chengdu, China
028 8322 2271

Check Chengdu Hotel Deals

Chengdu Mix Hostel (Backpacker's Guesthouse) Reviews

jonboyyork jonboyyo…
Great place to chill out! Aug 07, 2010
I had a really good stay in Chengdu when I stayed at Mix. Met some awesome people, the staff at the hostel really went out of thir way to help you and even threw in daily excursions for free e.g. a night time 'safari' of the city by bike and a hike in some rural hills out of Chengdu. Laura the manager is the best! Their own tours to the tourist haunts such as the pandas seemed expensive though.

It has a nice outdoor area with beds to chill out and the location is good, near to a bus stop with good connections to the city centre.

The showers are powerful and clean, the toilets were tiny though - seriously, Europeans are much bigger than Chinese people ^_^

As has been said in someone else's review, this place is very bohemian and I met a couple of people that seemed to spend their entire day inside the hostel smoking weed and then boasting about it in the evening. What's the point in travel when you don't venture outside the hostel?!

Only downside was that they do provide lockers in the room, but they have no locks so you need to bring your own which was annoying for me as I do have my own but use it on my day bag when out of the hostel.
ClementCasse ClementC…
Nice Sichuan hostel for backpackers May 10, 2010
I stayed 2 nights there. The reception is opened 24hours a day, which is great when you arrive like me at 2am!

The quality of the rooms is very good for the price. The staff is welcoming and eager to talk. Backpackers can meet easily and share their experiences while eating one of the delicious dishes they have. The staff can help you organise your trip , book your plane/train/bus tickets, etc

The only thing is that the hostel is not very close to the city center (you cant go by foot/ maybe 10 minutes by taxi). The isolation of the rooms is not the best as well, but the nights are usually quiet.
hedgehog_83 hedgehog…
Mix it up at the Mix Apr 28, 2010
I stayed at this hostel and had a good time staying there. Very nice hostel to meet people and share travel stories, it's also in a very good location. They do very good daily tours and great prices.

The beds are very comfortable and the staff are very helpful and friendly and will go right out of there way to help you.
AlexandraQuinton Alexandr…
Bohemian comfort Jun 06, 2009
As with many other hostels in China, Mix hostel offers a free pick-up from the train station. We were dropped off on the street and then had the problem of finding the hostel! It is really well tucked away.

However, once we found it we entered to be surprised how buzzing and bohemian it was. The reception staff were busy but helpful, and we checked in immediately, along with our free gift of a handmade purse and some candies. Our room was small but cosy, decorated in a boho Chinese theme and had air conditioning. The small window overlooked many roofs which offered an interesting view.

The hostel has a very earthy feel to it. Rich dark wooden floors and wall panels, stylish Chinese architectural windows and draped fabrics. Insence is burnt all the time, which helps the bohemian theme florish.

There are clean toilets on each floor, and the showers on the top floor/roof. Very clean, hot water, powerful showers. The rooftop area also homes a communal area with tables and chairs, sinks for laundry and washing lines for drying clothes.

There entire bottom floor contains a variety of common areas. A small dingy DVD room is tucked into the back, the lobby has a fountain with chairs and tables, a dining room is off the lobby where you can tuck into the delcious, great-value food on offer.

The PC room is squeezed into the walkway out into the garden. The garden has tables and chairs, but the main feature is the covered decking area with cushion instead of chairs, stylish art, and board games stored under a mock-antique dark wood coffee table. This is a great area to meet people, read a book or plan your trip.

The main drawback to this hostel in my experience was a few of the long-term guests. The people I met there smoked a lot of marijuana, or bragged about how high they are or were last weekend. This was the only place I stayed at in my entire 7 month trip where I met so many pot-heads in one place. Coincidence? Maybe.

Also, the tours offered by the hostel were extremely expensive, and they were reluctant to give information on how to do the same thing independently.

Overall, a cosy and comfortable place, and I would probably stay again, even if just for the gorgeous decor and comfy room!
A bit overexposed I'm afraid