Cheeseboard Pizza

1512 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley, CA, USA

Cheeseboard Pizza Berkeley Reviews

dlazzaro dlazzaro
Feb 25, 2006
I arrived at Cheeseboard Pizza very hungry after walking around Berkeley. When I got to the door, I was dissappointed to learn that Cheeseboard offers only one set of toppings per day -- in other words, if you don't like what's on the pizza that day, too bad. Still, I thought it smelled good, and I decided to try it.The pizza of the day was called "4 Cheese Pie: Mozzarella, Fresh Asiago, Parmesan, and Blue Cheeses, with Red, Yellow, and Green Onions, Basil, Garlic Olive Oil." It had a fairly thin crust, not too much cheese, and a very finely chopped set of toppings. I should admit now tht I am not a fan of onions, but the fact that these were very finely chopped made them very easy to eat. In general the flavor of the pizza was quite strong, and generally well put together.Unfortunately, I think I would have liked a more traditional set of toppings more, such as my favorite Napoli pizza. Still, I think Cheeseboard is very good, and the fact that the pizza changes daily is a major plus for the locals.The service was also very fast and very friendly. Overall, worth a visit if you are in town -- just hope the pizza of the day is a good one!
kloricacid kloricac…
Nov 16, 2005
Cheeseboard is the best place for pizza. The only disappointing part is that there is no meat on their pizzas, but there has never been a pizza as good..(if they had meat it would be even better..) The cheese and all the ingredients are fresh and it's piping hot. Especially getting that free extra half slice. The ambience is really good too, hearing the jazz bands that play. It is a little greasy, but with a place like cheeseboard, it should be expected. It's like going to a flower shop and expecting it not to smell. The other thing is that there is no overpower richness of tomato sauce. I wish there was a pizza place like cheeseboard everywhere.

for the review system..(no $ should be free...and $ is hobo cheap fare...which is what cheeseboard is)
kchong kchong
Nov 17, 2005
You've all forgotten the BEST part about Cheeseboard -- the CHEESE!!! I've thrown 2 cheese parties and I've gone here for the goods both times. I don't know that much about cheese (more than the average person, but still really not that much), but the people there are fabulous and let you try a bunch. They know their cheese very well, and know what's great for any type of party. It's bank though, but luckily I've been able to do this for free (courtesy of the dorms muahaha). =)
kloricacid says:
*drool. unless you're lactose..then it's *drool (pause) *bathroom noises.
kevinw83 says:
nice tag for this review!

kevinw83 kevinw83
Nov 16, 2005
Cheeseboard is definitely a definitive Berkeley thing to do. If you don't go there at least once before graduating, consider yourself a tool. I do enjoy how occasionally have a live band playing jazz, so you can enjoy your wait in line a bit more. The pizzas are definitely tasty, but I'm personally more of a fan of thick crust.If it really came down to my last pizza on earth, I don't know if I'd choose Cheeseboard... I'd probably go with Zachary's. But for fresh pizzas with a different flavor every day, Cheeseboard can't miss.
kloricacid says:
oooo nice comeback.
kevinw83 says:
as over-rated as your face!
Eric says:
zachary's is over-rated!
Will Will
Nov 14, 2005
Cheeseboard is awesome.The Co-ops brush it generously with olive oil before serving to give it that TV commerical effect. Make sure you get the sample slice that comes with a half or a whole. You will be inclined to eat the whole pizza, but beware, you WILL pay for it later. Even though the sign says it isn't allowed, try to eat it with your friends on the grassy center divider across the street.Good times.

For cheese lovers like myself, check out the Cheese Board shop two doors down. They are very helpful and informative fornovices andcomfortable with connoisseurs.
Eric Eric
Nov 09, 2005
This local institution serves up some of the finest pizza in the bay area. Usually there will be a long line stretching outside the door, but it moves pretty fast. The wait in line isn't even so bad because often there is a live jazz band playing music to entertain people as they wait. There is only one type of pizza per day, but each day it changes. I've found most topping combinations to pretty tasty, except for the toppings that have eggplant, because I hate eggplant. It is a bit expensive, at $2.25 per slice, but the slices are pretty large, and they always seem to throw an extra half-slice into your order for free. For even more fun and a mind-boggling selection of cheeses and bread, check out the Cheeseboard Bakery next door. Note: they only take cash!
Today's Flavor: Mozzarella, Roaste…
foolz0r foolz0r
Oct 20, 2005
This is a pretty delicious place. It has one type of pizza per day, so the line moves fast. We had some weird cheese combo with some sort of topping I don't remember, but I do recall its deliciousness. I understand why it's so crowded!!! The largest pizza is $18 and fed 3 people pretty well. It's not cheap, but not too expensive for the yumminess factor either. Grease is a problem, but at least you can save on a beverage by ... uhh... letting the grease wash it all down, I guess. Hooray for Cheeseboard!
angie says:
only 3 stars?!
Posted on: Nov 06, 2005
levingesundheit levinges…
Nov 17, 2005
It first glance cheese board looks great, but then you realize that's it's just too cheesy. They should put down their healthy, organic veneer and come out and say that their food is high in saturated fat. They should also use more vegetables. The one time I ate there, there weren't even any tomatoes on the pizza. They call themselves healthy? I give them a three for good first impressions.
Matt1170 says:
Where do they claim the pizza is healthy?
Posted on: Feb 01, 2006
Eric says:
Yea, I agree that sometimes their pizza is just too cheesy. Sometimes all you can taste is the cheese and I like my pizza with a variety of flavors.
Posted on: Nov 25, 2005