Cheddar Caves & Gorge

Cheddar Caves & Gorge - Cheddar Town

Cheddar Caves & Gorge Reviews

Lucy360 Lucy360
Great day out at Cheddar Gorge! Jun 04, 2011
My husband and I went to the beautiful Somerset town of Cheddar for our 1st years anniversary and decided to take a look at the Caves and Gorge. Apon arrival you are greeted by the awe-inspiring gorge, which is massive. The main town street is littered with little shops selling everything from food, coffee, sweets & gifts to genuine Cheddar cheese made on the premises. There is a free Cheddar history museum which is interesting and holds daily talks by staff in period caveman costumes allowing the guests to feel real caveman tools and animal furs.

The charge of £17.50 per adult was a little above average but really is worth it to see the caves which I think are the best in England. There is a free audio tour to listen too but it did get tiresome after a while, althought we listened to it all. We also took the added activity of potholing into the caves themselves which I have to say is one the scariest and best experiences of my life. Definately somethign everyone should try at least once. This cost extra and was by a company called rocksport which had a hut on the gorge to take bookings. I will definately make another trip to Cheddar in the future with my children as it is a brilliant day out for all ages.
The Gorge
Just before Caving

Related Travel Blogs About Cheddar Caves & Gorge

Historic Glastonbury Abbey and Cheddar Gorge - the home of cheddar cheese
Mark this as a historic visit. The one thing I love about the UK trips is that I not only enjoy the fresh outdoors but also get a free and valuble history lesson in the process. Upto a few years ago,…Gorge within which lie the Cheddar Caves that have very old and impressive formations. I had two issues that…
Silver Lady
We have been invited to a Silver Wedding Celebration of two friends who I was at university with.  They live near Wells in Somerset so we are staying the weekend in a B&B just south of the t…gorge itself. In Cheddar cheese is a big attraction, so we buy a decent slab of "cave matured" cheddar

Check Cheddar Hotel Deals