Checkpoint Charly

Ulitsa Ivan Vazov 12, Sofia, Bulgaria

Checkpoint Charly Sofia Reviews

DAO DAO
Check it Out Mar 08, 2017
I saw this lovely courtyard restaurant near my hotel and thought I would reserve a table for later that evening. I am glad I did as people with reservations will be in the less pleasing interior tables. I had absolutely no idea the restaurant was called Checkpoint Charlie, named after the main entry point of the Berlin Wall, until I was actually dining there. The barbed wire sort of theme only seems to exist on their menus (more below). I found the outside dining a great and intimate experience. They play jazz style music at a pleasant level so you can enjoy your meal and your companions.

Service was a little slow, but the place was packed and they cook all the food from fresh ingredients. No worries as the house red wine and my dining companion were both very good company. We enjoyed Shopska salad, humus with fresh bread, grilled sea bream and duck with Porto sauce. All delicious. The portions are ok, the quality is quite good and the atmosphere excellent. A good choice.

Now the name. The menu explains that too many young people in this former Communist country do not know the suffering people endured at the hands of the Soviet Union. Today they can travel freely and not be shot dead for trying to escape. There are several iconic photos of people escaping from East Berlin. They risked their life for freedom, liberty and to escape tyranny. Sadly hundreds were murdered attempting to flee the communist nightmare and oppression.
Jo104 says:
good review quiet sad how oppressed they were in East Berlin
Posted on: Mar 08, 2017