Cheaper travel

London, England

Cheaper travel London Reviews

Floralbutton Floralbu…
Using the Underground Mar 03, 2011
Traveling on London Underground for the first time can be a daunting experience. Even though I am born and bred in London, I still get confused at times on what train line to get and which is the quickest way to get to my destination (beware of the northern line, it can be very confusing!).

1. One tip I would give is to use the Travel for London website as your bible. It tells you everything from journey times to engineering works on the lines that may disrupt your journey:

2. Buy an oyster card! You will end up spending way much more then you would need to if you don't. You can buy one at most train stations for about £5 (£3 for the card and £2 already topped up for use). If you buy a pink ticket, be aware that buying a travel card (all zones 1 - 6) in the evening does not mean that it can be used the next day. It expires at midnight, regardless of when you bought it.

3. Once you reach zone one, the trains can get very packed especially in rush hour - lasting from around 5 till 7 pm. A lot of sights in central London are walkable so choose the Eco friendly option and get a bit of fresh air!

4. It can get very hot on the underground at times so make sure you bring a bottle of water especially in the summer. You won't regret it.

5. Lastly enjoy it! Your train may be delayed by 5 minutes and everyone is grumbling around you but this is part of the London culture. You will see hundreds of people a day on these trains yet not remember a face. Remember that there will always be disruptions on the trains so just enjoy it for what it is.

Enjoy your travels!
janethepain janethep…
Jul 09, 2007
For cheap transport around the UK check out the National Express buses. They are super handy and their fun fares are only 1 pound. I managed to travel from Victoria Station to Bournemouth return for only 2 pound. The station is a handy 5 minute walk from Victoria train station. The fare to Brighton was only 1 pound but the train to the same destination was 23 pound. A great deal!
Shelissa says:
Dude! Thanks a bunch! I will be checking into this for my study abroad trip in a couple months. This will hopefully allow me to double the ammount that I see on my tiny budget.
Posted on: Jul 02, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Cheaper travel

Japan (Asia Trip Part 1)
28th September 2011 Japan (Asia Trip Part 1) Chapter One - The Concrete Jungle I’m back backpacking again. After living in Kangarooland for almost 2 years and breaking my balls labouring for…cheaper option, but before the groom can go take his new bride to a hotel suite to get his rocks off the poor dude might be dragged to a second…
Trying to Solve an NP Complete Problem of Europe
Random Observation/Comment # 126: I never seem to stay on topic with my journal entries. I read a lot of my suggestions from what’s supposed to be “useful to help other people plan,” but none…London. Round-trip flights are always cheaper and if I want to travel Europe anyway, I might as well do a one-way flight…

Check London Hotel Deals