Cheap food in Singapore

Singapore, Singapore

Cheap food in Singapore Reviews

benleezm benleezm
Jun 13, 2007
In Singapore, the most authentic Asian food is available at the hawker centres. The prices are extremely reasonable (S$4 to S$6) and the variety is incredible, a typical hawker centre usually has 20-50 stalls each specialising in one or two dishes. The type of food on offer includes Chinese, Malay, Indian and Straits cuisine (cuisine that is a blend of cultures and available only in Singapore and Malaysia).

Must-try Singaporean dishes include:

Laksa (noodles with prawns in a thick curry gravy)

Satay (skewers of tender meat with a sweet peanut dip)

Barbecued Stingray with Sambal Chilli

Rojak (mixed salad served with sweet sauce)

Hainanese Chicken Rice (tender chicken served on delicious flavoured rice)

Good hawker centres include:

Newton Circus Food Centre (MRT: Newton)

Lau Pa Sat / Old Market (MRT: Raffles Place)

Adam Road Food Centre

Chomp Chomp Food Centre

East Coast Food Centre

But to be honest cheap and good hawker centres are easily available anywhere in Singapore.
cmuag97 says:
Stopped by Newton Hawker Center for a late night dinner one night during my stay in Singapore....even though one should definetely gorge on laksa, satay, crab, and whatever was mentioned above, I was equally satisfied with a simple bowl of noodles with pork that I tried from one of the stalls, it was very tasty!
Just beware....when you go, the "hawkers" can be relentless, they were that night I went, so don't let them pressure you, take your time to choose what you want to eat. :)
Posted on: Feb 15, 2009
benleezm says:
straits cuisine refers to the food that is endemic to the straits region (singapore, malaysia and parts of indonesia) that you can't find anywhere else in the world. it is best described as a blend of flavours with influences from chinese, indian and malay cooking but not really fitting into any of these categories completely.

examples include satay (meat skewers), rojak (mixed salad with sweet sauce), laksa (noodles in curry), fried kway teow (flat noodles fried with lard, prawns and clams) and fried carrot cake. this list is not exhaustive and you really have to taste it to understand what i mean!

Posted on: Jun 13, 2007
chiyeh says:
What exactly is Straits cuisine?
Posted on: Jun 13, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Cheap food in Singapore

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…cheap Argentina shirts at the shopping centre yesterday. We left the bar and got some food, on the way back to Gullivers a girl sat on the steps outside shouts…
Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…cheap too, in 3 weeks I have spent £300 including flying in a micro-light, Going on Safari 3 times and Quad biking. I’m seriously thinking I was born…
The Night Safari and Newtown food bazar
A quick (and cheap ride) on Singapore's sublime MRT/bus service later, we arrived at the Night Safari, another tourist must. The Safari allows you to walk round and look at a variety of nocturnal an…cheap ride) on Singapore's sublime MRT/bus service later, we arrived at the Night Safari, another tourist must. The Safari allows you to walk round and look…

Check Singapore Hotel Deals