Cheap Food and Attractions in NYC

New York, United States

Cheap Food and Attractions in NYC Reviews

antigonewanders antigone…
Dec 19, 2007
Restaurants in New York City tend to be expensive. I recommend that you buy easy meals from grocery stores (e.g. bread and cheese) and rely on them instead. If you are set on eating out, avoid touristy areas (e.g. Times Square), where prices tend to be exorbitant.

New York also offers many free attractions for the budget savvy traveler. If you are interested in architecture or literature, check out the New York Public Library, which is featuring an exhibit on Jack Kerouac. People watchers might prefer an afternoon in Washington Square Park. If you are determined to take in NYC's renowned performing arts scene, it is possible to get tickets for popular productions for reduced prices. Carnegie Hall sells tickets to students for $10 up to one week before each performance. If the Metropolitan Opera is not sold out, it sells the remaining tickets for $20 the morning of the performance online and at the box office. Finally, you can purchase half-price Broadway tickets in-person at the TKTS booth in Times Square or at South Street Seaport. For more details, read
almacorona says:
There is roots in Harlem, see my review. Seaport has free shows in the street during the Holidays and food there is also not expensive. I travel with my breakfast food from home, I buy sandwiches for lunch at a deli and do a light inexpensive dinner. Anything where you sit in Midtown is not going to be under $5, except pizza.
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007
sk8wishart says:
I'm not from New York, nor do I live there, but I just spent a long weekend in Manhattan, so I know how quickly money can be spent! For transportation purposes, I highly recommend using the subway. They have many different options for buying in bulk (ie: one day unlimited pass up to a week I believe) - they are available inside the subway stations. Taxis are sooo expensive, especially if the cab driver recognizes you are not a local, they tend to take the long way to your destination. Check out this link for public transportation... it helped me a lot.
Have FUN!!!!!
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007
crgyro says:
but don't be afraid of restaurants. There are plenty of hole in the wall places with excellent food, but antigonewanders is right, avoid tourist areas for food and the like. You can usually find a decent meal for between $8-15. If you're looking for an excellent place to go to for desert (but don't have reservations or care to waste your time in line at serendipity), try Omonia Cafe in Astoria, Queens (32-20 Broadway). They have an enormous selection of Greek deserts and also have some other choices if you want more than dessert. For breakfast, try Clark's in Brooklyn Heights (see my review for more info). Of course there are plenty of places in Manhattan for food, and many delis also serve sandwiches/wraps or offer take out.
Posted on: Dec 19, 2007