Chateau de Pray

Chateau de Pray Rates and Deals

Chateau de Pray Amboise Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
The small chateau outside town Mar 25, 2016
If you are travelling around the castles of the Loire Valley you may want to add a night at a castle to the adventure. If you do so the Chateau de Pray is a decent option. It is located outside Amboise which is one of the main stops on any castle exploration trips in the valley so it is a good base for a visit to some of the nearby castles. The location of the castle is a very pretty with the garden reaching almost all the way down to the Loire River. It is a bit outside the city itself and there is no public transport serving the castle so you really need to have your own transport if you want to stay here.

The first castle at this location was dated back to 1244 when the lord of Amboise made a castle here - his name was Geoffroy de Pray and the castle still carry his name. Thought the current castle is much younger dating from 16th century. The main building consist of a hall which is currently used as the reception of the hotel and two side salons of which one is used as the breakfast room - and the other as a tea room with a fireplace and access to the garden. The breakfast room is quite impressive and a nice place to enjoy the great buffet breakfast in the morning when you had a great night sleep in one of the beds of the castle.

The castle has around 20 rooms in total with 12 in the main building and the rest in a side building and a building opposite the castle a couple of which is actually in the tower of the castle. Unfortunately I didn’t get a room in the main building but in the side building to the castle. It turned out to be pretty good after all since the room was big with a nice four poster bed and a separate toilet and shower which was actually a big bathtub.

The room had its own private entrance both the courtyard in front of the castle and to the garden so it was possible to go into the garden straight from the room without having to ask the staff for access to the garden unlike the other guest at the hotel. The room was a bit cold but there was an extra electric heater in one of the closets - you better use this extra heater to warm up the room if you are visiting here on the shoulder season. The garden was nicely laid out but there weren’t many flowers at this time of the year and it was a bit cold to sit outside at the garden chairs so we didn’t really get much use of the easy garden access.

In one side building of the castle is a small restaurant located. The restaurant is in itself a very good reason to visit the castle since it is a very nice restaurant. I had gotten a stay which included a couple of breakfasts and a four course dinner at the restaurant in the price of the stay. And we had the option to very much enjoy the dinner at our first night in the castle. Since it wasn’t a holiday in France the hotel and restaurant was both pretty quite.
Castle from the garden
The shower
The bed
Chairs in the room
aloneinthecrowd says:
Belated congrats on your featured review, Mickey :)
Posted on: May 23, 2016
monkeymia79 says:
This castle is magnificent and the interior is lovely.

Congratulations on your featured review Mickey.
Posted on: May 22, 2016
vulindlela says:
Congrats!
Posted on: May 22, 2016
gingerbatik gingerba…
Becomes a Princess for a couple of nights Mar 25, 2016
Who can refuse to stay in a castle in France??? And if it has one Michelin award restaurant in the castle grounds ? Wowwwwww…….I was on the moon to be able to stay for a couple of nights at this small castle outside Amboise city in France. My heart was thumping loudly and I was very excited…my fingers could not stop taking pictures of the castle building and the surrounding area. Oh my….a dream has become a become reality, I am a Princess for a couple of nights. Yey…

Chateau de Pray was has been around since 1244 when the Lord of Amboise constructed a castle here and his name was Geoffroy de Pra. The castle has carried his name until this day. The castle has changed ownership many times, however the main building is still the same, albeit some renovations and modernization on each of it’s 12 rooms in the main building and 8 rooms opposite the castle building.

The small castle is beautiful and tranquil with large garden at the back of the building, a swimming pool, and an interesting décor, especially in the breakfast room and the lounge area with large fire place and a huge tapestry.

The staff at the castle was very professional with high standard of service.

Our room located at the ground floor outside the main building. The disadvantage of staying outside the main building is, we do not have the old and original wall, or the old stairways with the armour guard waiting at the base of the stairways.

However, the advantage of the room on the ground floor is, we have access to the beautiful garden all the time whereas other guests would not be able to do that. We roaming the big garden at night and morning time and have it to our self.

We are allow to go inside the main building to take picture but nothing much at the second floor as it was all guest room only.

Our room on the ground floor was quite small, as I always imagine that castle room was huge and beautiful.

Yes the room was beautiful with a four poster bed and very comfortable bed, and I feel like a Princess.

I love the antique furniture in the room, it was soo beautiful and nice. I want to take it home with me.

The bathroom was kind of strange in a zig zag style, but it was modern and very clean. The bathtub was nice to soak up to but the warm water takes a while to fill in the tub. The towels was fluffy and the bathrobe was good to wear and very comfy.

Unfortunately it was a bit cold inside the room, even with one heater on. We stayed two nights at this castle and on the first night we only use one heater, and I ended up having a cold the next day. On the second day I get an additional heater from the cupboard and turn it on. Finally the room was nice and warm.

The buffet breakfast the next morning was fantastic… it served in the room with a big tapestry with huge fire place and high ceiling. It was a wouw….. a place to remember.

Oh boy… my dream come true…. Stay in the castle.
the castle building
the castle building
the garden
the bedroom with four poster bed a…
gingerbatik says:
it was Stacey, very nice indeed:)
Posted on: Sep 23, 2017
stacey72 says:
Wow! It looks so romantic!
Posted on: Sep 22, 2017
gingerbatik gingerba…
Fantastic meal at the restaurant with one Michelin award Mar 25, 2016
I was not surprise the castle restaurant serve really good food for dinner, since the restaurant has one Michelin star award, and I expect the food would be wonderful to the eyes and tummy than any other average food at normal restaurants.

Luckily we have booked this place in advanced and do not have to wait long for dinner. We arrived around 6pm at night time in the castle, and after a quick check in, and put our luggage, shower and then I dress up in my Princes gown before heading for the formal dinner at 7.30pm.

The restaurant itself located a short walk from our room, which is on the left side of the castle building.

The staff was very professional with a high standard of service and information on the food being served, and asked if we have any food allergy.

It was very beautiful inside the restaurant with a high ceilings romantic curtains in the dining area and windows facing the garden. The big French windows from ground to ceiling facing the garden, and cave style building with the antique furniture and an old concrete wall at the lobby, creating a very cosy atmosphere. Everything is modern yet there are soothing with fancy table cloths.

We have champagne before the meal, and the food served in a very nice shiny porcelain ware and it was superb. As usual the staff asked what we wanted for drinks during the meal. We decided to have the wine matching for the special occasion (staying in the castle).

First we had four types of snacks which looked and tasted delicious. Mama mia…. I looked forward to the next dish.

The cod fish with greenery and mussel sauce was to die for, it was perfect. The meat was very tender and the sauce complemented nicely. I wish I could have more of those.

The second dish of razor clam with parsley sauce was even more tastier than the first dish.

Finally the third dish of fried scallops with cheese and parsley sauce was fantastic. The scallops was so soft and they melted in the mouth. Oh my…..it was really delicious. I could not think or speak, other than just eat my scallops.

Finally we had three different desserts consisting of four types of different cheeses with crackers, praline and walnut ice cream and then four kind of cakes. I am very picky with my dessert, however those were delicious…..

I really like one of the cheese which has an orange colour, taste really delicious, and the staff kindly write down the name of the cheese which come from the Netherland. I actually hunt this cheese down at the market the next day to bring it back to Copenhagen. Yes I found it and I bought half round of it, which was quite expensive.

By the time I had my tea, I was content and very happy. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Amboise – better still to stay in the castle after dinner and be a Princess for the night and sleep on the four poster bed.
the lounge in the restaurant
inside the restaurant
4 different type of snacks
fancy meal covered up
cotton_foam says:
Hmmm...making me hungry now!
Posted on: Sep 24, 2017
yasuyo yasuyo
Chateau hotel in Amboise,France Oct 03, 2009
Loire area in France has a lot of chateau hotels. This hotel exists near the Amboise station. You can arrive from the station in 10min by taxi.

It's near the station nevertheless you will see vast field go way to the chateau. There are fresh air ,nothing artificial.

I think it very nice location.

This hotel is small one. They welcomed us friendly,seems they welcomed at home. I liked it. I didn't feel businesslike attitude for them.

Well,it's an old chateau, the wall cloth was not so beautiful. But water surrounding were fixed well, the bathroom was very comfortable.

My high recommendation is a spectacle of the garden. I think this garden so match with small lovely,old chateau.

A night,girls stayed like a princess...
Chateau De Pray
Entrance
view from the room
reikunboy says:
congrats on your feature Yasuyo
Posted on: Oct 26, 2009
KeikoCreative says:
Yasuyo, congrats on your featured review! Have a great weekend:)
Posted on: Oct 24, 2009
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on your feature Yasuyo!!
Posted on: Oct 24, 2009

• Garden
  • Cycling
  • Horse Riding
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes
  • Shower
  • Pool Outdoor
  • Luggage Storage
  • Free Parking

Related Travel Blogs About Chateau de Pray

Old town Tours
About an hour and half by TGV from the Roissy we arrived the Tours. I see it's a student's town. A lot of younger peoples and town is calm...very nice atmoshere.My daughter got high fe…Amboise next destination. There is our hotel,Chateau de Pray. But I made mistake there, I bought our train…

Check Chateau de Pray Rates and Deals