Chateau Lorraine

Check Mackinac Island Hotel Deals

Chateau Lorraine Mackinac Island Reviews

sweetsummerdaiz sweetsum…
Avoid This Hideous Dump of a B&B on Mackinac Island Feb 02, 2009
3 words..... dump, dump, dump!

This is the very worst of the worst I've stayed in during all of my travels.

Considered a B&B, this old, but restored home felt more like a scary ambush.

Reservations (both on the web and by phone) never informed me of a shared, nasty bathroom across the hall. No soaps or towels were available for our use, but the shower, I noticed, had plenty of hair from someone else in it (ick!)

This B&B felt much more like a funeral parlor than a home. With all the life-sized mannequins around in must, dusty lace and wool clothing, it felt like eyes were staring at me the whole time. I joked that the mattress on the bed must be the original from the 1800's because it felt like there was a corpse under the mattress creating a hump in the middle.

No air condition, not even a window unit. There was a rainstorm the summer night I stayed so couldn't even keep the windows open in a sweltering 98 degree heat (which is unusual for them).

The storm also took out the TV stations, so there was positively nothing to do in this hotel after main street downtown closed at 8pm. (The TV in the room was about circa 1972~ quite the relic complete with fuzzy picture.)

Though they claim to be clean, there was a rotting banana peel on a buffet table outside my room for the duration of the visit near the morning coffee cups and locks on the doors were only for show. The walls in my room were the color of pepto bismol.

Because this hotel is also managed by the Pine Cottage, no one was supervising this building at night and doors were left unlocked all night with absolutely no one around for help.

Very poorly lit, it was simply creepy, skanky, decrepit, and miserable. All for the bargain basement price of $150 per night.

If you had to sleep in the street instead, consider yourself lucky.

In addition to the inside of the place being a bust, B&B was located up a steep hill, poorly lit, on the edge of the city.
nik2blessed says:
yikes, eyes starring at you..no thanks!
Posted on: Jun 21, 2011
Sweetski says:
Having travelled through the Lorraine region in France, the name of this B&B sounded like a dream castle. I totally sympathise with you, as I felt the same shock reading about the horrible experience at this overpriced and awful 'Chateau' as you must have felt while staying here.

I'm sorry to hear you were so disappointed and I thank you for making the time and effort to warn us all.
Posted on: Feb 02, 2009