Changing money in Bali (Sanur)

Sanur, Sanur, Indonesia

Changing money in Bali (Sanur) Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
WARNING WARNING WARNING! Aug 05, 2012
If you have cash and want to exchange money into Indonesian rupiahs, be very careful! I asked in the hotel reception where I could find a bank. I had only seen ATMs. I was told that there were many places to change money, which was true. Literally every shop in Sanur changes foreign currency. They recommended me to use the exchange office inside Circle K. This is a small version of 7 eleven. I went inside, changed my money, counted the rupiahs I was given and received a receipt. Everything was fine and safe.

The day before I was going on my sailing trip I needed to get some more rupiahs. I was walking down the road and saw Bali Sun Tailor & Leather. They offered a better exchange rate and I thought, why not? This was a fatal mistake. I went inside and the shop assistant was helpful and said that yes they exchanged foreign currency. I gave him $200, which was around 1.900.000 rupiahs. The guy counted the money and put them in 3 piles of 500.000 and one pile of 400.000. Then I counted the money. It was 1.900.000 rupiahs. He then scooped up the money and gave them to me. No receipt! I should have woken up at that point. Before I left the shop he shook my hand and thanked me for making business with him. Suspicious!

When I got back to my hotel, for some reason, I counted the money again. It was only 1,400.000 rupiahs. 500.000 rupiahs were missing. That was $50 and 25% of the amount that I had exchanged. When the guy scooped up the money he must have slipped one of the piles of 500.000 under the counter. I was so angry with myself for letting it happened and I was utterly disappointed that the locals take advantage of tourists and steal from them.

What did I learn? Don´t fall for the temptation of getting a few rupiahs extra. Circle K has a slightly lower exchange rate on foreign currency, but are considered to be the safest place. Wherever you go, count the money and DON´T let anyone handle the money after you have counted them!

See also “DreamGary”s review: http://www.travbuddy.com/Changing-money-in-Bali-Kuta-v500644
Circle K
Bali Sun Tailor & Leather DON`T E…
spocklogic says:
Sorry to hear about that. It's a cautionary tale to remind us to be more watchful and on our guard, especially so when exchanging money.
sarahsan says:
You are right Ian! I thought that I was all right since I had counted the money myself. Hope this review will help other travelers to be more careful.
Dr_Seuss says:
Unfortunate, but we all learn mostly from our mistakes :(. Always best to check before you leave.

Check Sanur Hotel Deals