Champlung Hotel

Monkey Forest Street, Ubud, Indonesia

Check Ubud Hotel Deals

Champlung Hotel Ubud Reviews

MannyK MannyK
A beautiful nature and spa retreat nestled in the cultural heart of Ubud Sep 20, 2014
As I walked into the lobby area, I already had a good feeling about this place. The first thing that caught my attention was the beautiful, well manicured hedges and landscaping at various levels and varying foliages. Friendly concierges promptly helped me with my luggage and offered me a nice fruit juice drink, which seemed to be the Bali way.

It was fully booked but never felt busy. It did not immediately strike me as the the most luxurious hotel- it was not even brand new. But what it did offer were picturesque views created by clever arrangement of trees, hedges and pathways which created a serene atmosphere. It felt like a place you could recharge.

As I sipped on my delicious juice concoction, a fellow traveller(ironically from the US) was already giving me rave reviews about the hotel, how peaceful and friendly it was. "You must wait to see the monkeys too,....." he added, almost with the excitement of a young kid. I later found myself feeling like a little kid too as I spent hours in the late afternoon watching the monkeys frolicking in the hotel's large fountain- swimming underwater for long periods of time,....yeah who knew! They would wade in circles around the fountain using the different levels as high bases to ambush each other as they dive-bombed from the top into the fountain's pool, totally oblivious to the amazed gathering crowd of people watching.

There were 2 large pool areas and an extended sitting area near the lobby to just lounge around. There many courtyard settings there too so it never felt busy.

My room was spacious, adorned with large paintings and classic wall tiling that was aesthetically pleasing. My balcony had this quaint old-fashioned design, allowing you to sit and look at the panoramic view that stretched past the hotel into the monkey forest. You could see the monkeys nearby sometimes with their babies in tow.

The Champlung Sari Hotel is also strategically located to Ubud temples, of course the famous "monkey forest" sanctuary, Ubud marketplace and a growing array of restaurants and bars. Ubud is so much more relaxed than most of commercial Bali, even the street sellers are polite and solicitations are cordial. I was very impressed also by the "laughing Buddha", a bar that played salsa, bachata and merengue music with a passion and authenticity that made you feel like you were in Puerto Rico or any other latin country. The evening and night-time activities also included cultural dances and music a short walk from the hotel.

The hotel reception would always remind me of all my upcoming tours and were very politely eager to assist me with any questions I had. The food was great. Breakfast buffet came with the hotel stay and it was a combination of western style fruit-eggs, pancake, bacon, etc with the addition of the Balinese Asian food. Now that was yummy and I was spoilt for choice.

I did give amenities 4 out 5 stars only because the TV did not provide a wide range of channels that I have been spoilt enough to expect from hotels and resorts. But after taking a walk around the resort, watching TV at any point of the day would be the last thing on my mind, based on the outdoor views.

The spa was the highlight for me. I had been cycling near the volcano, elephant trekking, learning to surf( still a work in progress), and rafting. So I was ready to be pampered at the tail end of my trip. Their massages were undoubtedly the best. They seemed to focus on every muscle, bone and tissue in your body, with the sole aim of relaxing you. The biggest challenge I had was staying awake to fully enjoy every minute of it. Luckily my occasional snores kept me awake to appreciate the whole process. I would definitely recommend at least 2 sessions there. At their prices, it is a steal, and a worthy one too.

In all, my overall experience at the Champlung Sari Hotel was great. It was relaxing and invigorating. I would recommend it to single travellers like myself, families and couples alike. It looks and feels like what a retreat should be- great.
Dinner
Entry to the spa
My room
Ensuite
MannyK says:
Should have posted this answer in the correct place long ago, but thanks for your congrats Zagnut, much appreciated!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Sep 21, 2014