Cetho Temple

Gumeng, Solo, Indonesia

Cetho Temple Solo Reviews

yuness yuness
"Cetho Temple on the Enchanting Slope of Mount Lawu" Jul 28, 2014
I took a trip to Solo with my parents, After We arrived at the hotel and booked in we decided we want to make a one day trip, so I called my friend to picked up us at the hotel, waiting only 30 minutes he came, then we decided we would like to go to the Karang Anyar District to visit some of the delights in the panoramic Lawu basin, which I personally think are very interesting with such sights as Grojogan Sewu (Waterfall), Sukuh and Cetho. So we rent my friend and his Car to take us there.

First we are to visit the temple Cetho which is located on the slopes of Mount Lawu, the route to the temple meanders very steeply up a rocky mountain road, which is definitely not for the faint hearted of people, overcoming one's fear we are treated to an incredible and alluring panorama, along I open the window to take pictures with cool beads of water from the fog that infiltrate in my skin I am feel the cold I glad to be getting there by using a driver and his car so we can clearly see the sights, but before we get much further we are beset with problems with the car which is start to struggle with the steep climb and rocky conditions, the car's engine is getting to hot so the driver tries another gear but this just stops the car completely, me and my parents get out of the car to look for a big rock to block the back wheels because we are worried the car might start to slip down the road, after letting the car cool down we decide to go on again but we must push the car part way up the mountain road before we are able to get back in the car and PRAY. Thanking God for our lucky escape, All to soon we have more problems as the visibility is now no good due to heavy rain, we take shelter in a shop selling food. Half an hour we wait desperate for a break from the rain, the last hour had weirdly exciting, maybe because of the sensation of adrenaline rushing through my body, but now the fact I'm so scared it made my heart beat too fast and how must my parents be feeling! Finally we do get a break in the rain and the poor old car can run again until we arrived at the car park near to the temple.

Cetho Temple stands tall and majestic and when we are through the gates, It is absolutely beyond my expectations, the gates themselves are very unusual that they are of Balinese ornamental style instead of traditional Javanese that I was expecting to see, when standing at the gate, a view of the colourful hills and the Temple buildings interspersed by the fog really made me fall in love with this place.

This Hindu temple is reportedly built in the fifteenth Century of the Majapahit era. On entering you can see the temple at the end of a wide pathway that is set between lawned gardens, which then risers by several terraces with stone cut reliefs that resemble the gateway on the way in. The temple then offers many large carvings similar to forms of the human body parts. Reportedly some of these represent the genitals of men and women, so that Cetho temple is also believed to be the temple of fertility.

On the top steps of the temple, there are places of worship for Hindus. The area behind the temple, there is a very beautiful statue of Saraswati. Again, Cetho presenting unusual ornaments not normally found in temples of Java in general. From Cetho Temple there is a hiking trail leading in the direction of another Temple call Kethek, but due to the increasing heavy rain and also the fact there is a difficult river to cross, we decide wisely I think not to go here today.

Cetho, which in ancient Javanese language means "clear" does give a clear and beautiful scenery. Located at an altitude of about 1400 meters above sea level, Cetho presents a panorama of outstanding, refreshing and natural chic. Its presence on the slopes a mystery known to its native peoples of Gumeng village. But anyway, Cetho is a relic of history that has its own charm, its name is still less than the famous Borobudur and Prambanan but no less shrinking in charm to captivate the eyes of the visitors, including me, so still there is a desire for me to go back to enjoy the beauty again of Cetho and maybe to continue next time to Kethek Temple, if I have the NERVE!
gingerbatik says:
congrats on your featured
Posted on: Jul 21, 2015
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2015
redhearts says:
Seems like a nice place to go.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2015