Cerro Catedral

Bariloche, Argentina

Cerro Catedral Bariloche Reviews

bassco4 bassco4
Should be mandatory for people to experience such beauty Jan 27, 2010
On a clear day the view from the top of Cerro Caterdral was so spine-tingling magnificent I swear I shed a tear. If you like the mountains, if you like lakes, if you like utter physical beauty you MUST go! I was there in winter skiing so the snow covered Andes made it all that more striking but I'm certain in summer it has a different but still fantastic effect
Where the mountains meet the sky. …
Lanafromhawaii Lanafrom…
Cerro Catedral Aug 13, 2008
Alright so here it goes. My family and I spent about a month cruising around Patagonia in search of curing our winter withdraws and riding some epic snow. Unfortunately, we basically were met with major disappointment. Our main stop was the mountain/lake town of San Carlos de Bariloche. The town was specifically geared for tourists with cheesy shops, overpriced restaurants, and MILLIONS (and when I say millions, I mean it) of tour buses coming in and out every single day. Students from around Argentina, mostly Buenos Aires, come to Bariloche for their holidays because there is an intense disco scene (which btw, doesn't start till four in the morning, so be sure you're accommodations aren't too close to a club).

We had hoped that these little kiddies would stay within the village and away from Cerro Catedral but we had hoped too much. Cerro Catedral was the most crowded ski resort I have ever rode at. I don't even know if you could even say I rode so much as I stood in ridiculous lines. The lifts are ancient two-seaters and there is no order to the lines. Kids and adults will crush your equipment, step all over your board, etc. just to get a little bit closer. After two hours of waiting in line and not getting a single run in for the day, I freaked on some unsuspecting chick. Funny now, not so amusing then.

I would have been able to handle all this if the snow had been soft, fluffy, perfect. However, it wasn't. It sucked. It was heavy, wet, in short supply, and completely ungroomed. I talked to a local kid and he said the mountain has the equipment to make snow to cover up the land mines that required me to take off my board and walk downhill in some parts and to groom the snow but they won't because they just want to make money. Oh yeah, my dad almost was caught in a massive freaking avalanche too because they don't bomb.

Now look, usually I can find the best in situations and while I did get a few good turns in, it just wasn't worth it. Don't go to South America specifically for a ski trip because you will find nothing but major disappointment. Lesson learned: Utah really does have the best snow on Earth. Don't take your home stomping grounds for granted. :)

Check Bariloche Hotel Deals