Central Hostel

E. Birznieka - Upīša 20, Riga, Latvia

Central Hostel Rates and Deals

Central Hostel Riga Reviews

Phistra Phistra
Lower-class hostel not as close to the center as the name associates Jul 08, 2012
I spent four nights in this hostel. It is cheap, but you should only stay there if you have no other option.

I came to check-in at 3 p.m. and the receptionist said to me, that it takes still some time to prepare the room. At 3 p.m.? I ought to come 30 minutes later.

I had booked a 6-bed room (men only). During the waiting time I exchanged money; this was necessary because the card reader at the reception didn't work.

After the room was tidied up, I could enter it - and was NOT brimmed with enthusiasm at all.

There were three bunk beds - as expected, but... Where were the lockers? I saw bags and rucksacks all distributed over the floor. You have to watch out that you don't step on it, I have founded the room too small for six people.

The "mattresses" of the beds were of thin foamed material - and already quite worn. The duvet cover was very old - there were some disgusting smudges on it.

Another negative thing was the location of the room. It is in the same corridor as the reception. The six-bed-room is about 10 metres from the reception. When you go to the toilet in the morning you are accurately in the field of view of the receptionist.

The breakfast in the hostel is - except Sunday's - very simple. Normally it's toast and you have the hard choice of marmalade (one flavour) and creamy cheese. As you are in a hostel you find sometimes leftovers of bread-crumbs and margarine in the marmalade or in the cheese.

Furthermore there are sugar-free cornflakes.

I only had breakfast two times - the second time was on a Sunday. On this day you have much more choice of edibles. Besides the already mentioned food - you have above all apricots, cucumber, oranges, tomatoes and bananas. That's definitely more alimentary.

And you should eat on Sunday's, as when I was there, the staff prepared way too much food, so that on the next day they offered still the oranges from the previous day. As they were already sliced, it looked naturally not good anymore.

It's absurd that the breakfast table is way to small for all guests. At most 5 (!) people can have breakfast at the same time and with it the space is limited due to the bread, the cornflakes, the marmalade and cream cheese pots on the table.

The cleanliness in general (bathroom, floor, kitchen) was acceptable, but go to the computer (in the recreation room) only in case of urgency. The keyboard was EXTREMELY filthy. I tried to shake out the dirt about 3 or 4 times, and it still came out dust, hair and further dirt.

The staff was in general friendly (except one young unfriendly guy, who seemed very arrogant) and at least there are small lock boxes at the reception to lock up your valuables.

However, to me it's absolutely basic to have lockers for your luggage and the Central Hostel doesn't own that.

You have, like in every hostel, the possibility to cook for yourself. I didn't cook, but I am sure that first of all you have to wash up the entire dinnerware BEFORE you cook.

Conclusion: Even if it is cheap, the staff should pay more attention of the condition of some things. I think it's not that expensive to buy a larger dinnertable, lockers or to take care that the dishes/the computer are/is clean.
rph304 says:
well, the jargon you used really has some tough translation I'm sure... but it is pretty much flawless! Unlike that hostel... yuck! :) You still should have left a message on that board at the hostel... would have been funny (and appropriate)
Phistra says:
Chris, i'm glad, that you like it and i think that it expresses my huff pretty well. I wanted to write this review much timely, but my internet had not worked since I arrived from Lithuania. It's thorough - yeah, it took me one and a half hour to write it. The translations are really time-consuming.
rph304 says:
I couldn't wait to see this review! It is very thorough... I can almost see the dirt and hair falling from the keyboard as you shake it lol

Check Central Hostel Rates and Deals