Cemeteries of New Orleans

New Orleans, Louisiana

Cemeteries of New Orleans Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
The Cemeteries of New Orleans, Louisiana Apr 22, 2008
Every city large or small everywhere has at least one cemetery. On our trip across the country we tried to stay off freeways as much as possible and because of that we saw cemeteries in each state. Especially in the south-eastern part of the country we found them next door to the local churches. It was one thing that for me, being from the far west, I had never seen before. But I had heard in advance of the special cemeteries on New Orleans.

We didn’t see all of the cemeteries listed below but I believe this to be a fairly complete listing.

St. Louis #1 is the oldest surviving cemetery in New Orleans. Begun in 1789, the year after the city suffered an epidemic of yellow fever, a flood, and a fire that destroyed 80% of the city. The purported tomb of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau can be found there.

St. Louis #2 established in 1823.

Lafayette #1 established in 1833 was the first Garden District cemetery, and has been used the most for films.

Cypress Grove established in 1840

Gates of Prayer established in 1846

Greenwood begun in 1852.

St. Louis #3 established in 1854.

St. Roch founded 1867.

Metairie founded in 1872

Hebrew Rest established in 1872

Mt Olivet established 1920.

Holt cemetery, new and maybe the only below ground

We were able to locate and drive through two of the amazing beautiful cemeteries and took several pictures of the tombs and above ground burial sites. Due to the very high water table around the New Orleans area making above ground burials has long been done here. And many are more like super memorials than just grave sites.

I will not go into the hauntings, ghosts, or voodoo, which are all highly spoken of in New Orleans especially by the tour companies. They love to tell you some of the creepiest stories while showing you around. You can take tours of several of the cemeteries that are an hour to two hours in length and cost as little as $10. But if all you wish to do is see the wonderfully built detailed tombs take your car and drive through.
e_w_richardson says:
My wife and I went to St. Louis #1 to see Marie Laveau's tomb. What struck me as rather cool is that there were a lot of really old tombs but some were fairly recent including one from 2012. We also found the Adams family tomb which was comical.
Posted on: Jan 21, 2013
annnnieeee says:
i love going to old cemeteries! i can't wait to do this tour. have you been to hollywood forever in L.A.? i'm about to write a review of its summer movie screenings (cinespia).
Posted on: Aug 27, 2008
Marinushka says:
A very interesting topic - cemetries do tell a lot. My aunt even wrote a book about one Moscow cemetery. When in Russia, visit one at Novodevichy Monastery and two in St.Pete's - one at Alexandro-Nevsky Lavra and Volkovo Cemetery.
Posted on: Aug 27, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Cemeteries of New Orleans

Voodoo Dreams
Tuesday was my last day in Nawlins.  I woke up early in the morning and realized that I still had several things left on my "to see" list.  One of those things was to visit&n… Orleans history, the St. Louis Cemetery #1 is the oldest (opened in 1789) and most famous cemetery in New Orleans
New Orleans, By Foot and Public Bus
After getting into our new hotel the night before, we took the trolley out to the Garden District, an area of large old houses and mansions, many which have, yes, gardens. The houses were very pretty…Cemetery #1, New Orleans' oldest still-existing cemetery. It's probably the cooleset of the three cemeteries I went…

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals