Celyn Resort

Celyn Resort Rates and Deals

Celyn Resort Sabah Reviews

IldikoTF IldikoTF
Amazing view from our room (www.celyns.com/resort/) Mar 25, 2012
We stayed here in March 2010 (I know it's taken ages to finally write my reviews, it's been a busy year).

A little bit about us: we are from London, a 36yr old couple. We like nice and luxurious holidays but probably appreciate the real, local experiences even more. Borneo was part of our honeymoon, travelling in Japan and Malaysian Borneo. It was a busy trip but we enjoyed every minute of it. After Tokyo, geishas in Kyoto, snorkelling near Kota Kinabalu etc we travelled through Sabah expecting to see wildlife and jungle.

We travelled from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan via Ranau and decided to visit Mount Kinabalu so booked a night at Celyn Resort, which then turned to be 2 nights. Taxi was cheaper than coach from KK, but if you go for this option be prepared that local’s cars are old and dusty (don’t wear your best clothes ☺ )

We loved this little, simple resort. It is great value for money. You get what you pay for – simple resort… but the location is fab and the view is just unforgettable. Exactly what I wanted: view to Mount Kinabalu – and on the other side a beautiful valley.

The KK taxi driver didn’t know where it was so we just asked the locals. It is located on a steep hill, a bit scary going up in an old car but worth it.

When we arrived it was a bit cloudy so we didn’t see the mountain so just waited with anticipation. In the evening when it was getting dark one moment I looked up and I saw the top of Mount Kinabalu peeping out – until then I didn’t look up as I didn’t expect it to be so high…

The room had a small bathroom, double bed, small telly and kettle for coffees – big enough for 2. Simple, no luxury, but adequate, kettle – we asked for more milk to go with our coffee and they brought it to our room, which we didn’t expect from such a simple resort. There is a restaurant in the main building – food was ok, my husband loves Chinese so he was quite pleased to eat chinese there :) the only criticism we had was that everything was a bit garlic-y. But to be honest you are probably lucky to have a restaurant in the middle of Sabah, in a tiny town (village?) anyway :)

The resort wasn’t busy, that made it a lovely and peaceful part of our busy trip in Japan and Malaysia.

One day I woke up to flashing lights in mid of night…. my hubby was taking pics of a gecko in our room. It was really funny to see how excited he was to see wildlife in our room. The gecko was very small and cute ☺ and obviously scared of us.

Staff at Reception spoke some english, we had no problem making ourselves understood. They were very helpful and friendly. They arranged taxis and booked us the coach to Sandakan.

Some may not like the simplicity of this place but i will never forget those views. I went there without expectations, wanted to stay near Mt K with a view and that was exactly what i got. Actually, it (the view especially) was more amazing than expected so we decided to stay another night. God, I’m glad we did… the 2nd day the clouds cleared and we woke to the most amazing views. We took a taxi to the entrance of the mountain but didn’t climb the 2day trek.. instead we decided to spend the day walking around the treks at the bottom, underneath the most beautiful and humongous ferns we’ve ever seen. Lots of orchids too.. all shapes, sizes and colours.

If you want to climb the mountain you need to train a bit and also acclimatise. You are recommended to stay for a couple of nights for that. But you can just stay the one night at half way up if you feel ready. There is accommodation at the bottom near the entrance, quite cheap, if you would like to stay around a bit longer. It is lovely, and sooo peaceful. A real nature experience.

There is an entrance fee to the park, and then another just before you start the trek up. It is owed by a company who charges those who want to climb the mountain.

We would have done a trip to the Rafflesia flowering side too but unfortunately it wasn’t flowering then.

The best view of the mountain we had on the way back to Celyn, and again on the clearest morning when we left... from the bottom of the hill where the resort was, along the main road where we were waiting for the coach to Sandakan.

it was a great experience and I would love to go back again!!

Room Tip: Rooms are cheap so you don't need a tip. Their website is www.celyns.com/resort/
the resort, with view to Mt Kinaba…
our room, simple but sufficient
view from the balcony
very dramatic Mt Kinabalu
sylviandavid says:
Enjoyed reading your review.... Thanks..... AND congratations on being featured! Hooray
Africancrab says:
Well done!
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!

Check Celyn Resort Rates and Deals