Ceillac

France

Ceillac Reviews

davidx davidx
Ceillac - little known but immensely beautiful walks Apr 03, 2012
I wanted to do this in a blog but that seems impossible if you don't know the date of the visit and I really don't know where it fell between 1982 and 1990. I know that it was fairly early in the year, desperately cold at night in our tent and really warm or even hot by about 1100.

I think it must have been a sort of Paradise once, before many of the fine wooden roofs were replaced by corrugated iron and the ski resort had yet to be built. However it still remains pretty close!

We camped among larch trees in what was then the only site there and could see high snowy moutains between the trees. Why did we go there, you may ask. I even forget where I read about the Queyras region but with a good micro-dlimate and mountins high but not unimaginably so and delightful villages with sundials as a speciality, it seemed worth a shot.

There were attractive walks in all directioons but the highest tops were too icy to appeal overmuch. Even the highest road - leading to Italy - was still blocked by snow.

On the one bad day during the week we went to Briancon and ate out in the local hotel near a big waterfall to find most of the other campers had also resorted there. The night before it was obvious that thunder threatened and fences sprung up in the village to keep the sheep in. I imagine some of them must have been brought down a considerable distance.

It was during this holiday that I realised that an easy stream crossing in the morning could turn into a torrent later in the day as the ice melted above - and the amazing rate at which the Alpine flowers take over the land where the snow had melted high up.

One particular memory was of a day when we had walked up to a high pass - where pam is pictured among my photos. On the way down we were followed by some topless danes and pam found it necessary to slip into a small wood to 'commune with nature. A scream alerted me to the fact that a snake had just been squirted with water - fortunately causing it to be more scared than pam was. Another memory is of the gentians growing in profusion by Lac Miroir, well above the waterfall.

I'll leave description to my photos.
Queyras landscape