Cedar Point

Sandusky, Ohio
Cedar Point - The Raptor.  Wait for the front car, trust me on this.
Cedar Point - Heading into the park...cross 'Cedar Point' off life's to-do list!
Cedar Point - Random shot of just a portion of the 17 coasters at Cedar Point.
Cedar Point - The best part is that the stretcher and backboard hang out the back!
Cedar Point - Iron Dragon
Cedar Point - The Blue Streak.
Cedar Point - Mine Ride

Cedar Point Sandusky Reviews

largentco largentco
Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio Apr 18, 2011
This is the greatest amusement park in the world if you ask me! When I went here I was only partial to roller coasters but by the time I left this park I loved them. I rode every one I possibly could; except the giant one made of all wood! The one made of wood shakes and rattles so much my nerves wouldn't allow me to ride it. But this place is amazing. It has something for everyone. Kiddie rides, water rides, slow rides, fast rides, and huge roller coasters! Check this place out if you're in the area!
redtala71 redtala71
fun summer activity Jun 19, 2011
I've been going to Cedar point since as long as I can remember, the place will never get old to me! Something to do for everyone of all ages. The rides are thrilling and even for people who do not like rides the beach is within walking distance and they have a variety of shows to see while there.
jrsafe jrsafe
Best rollecoaster park in the world (i think) Mar 05, 2011
I'm writing this review to be able to send messages :( but i'm not lying about the review so it is the best roller coaster place. And if you get stomach sick easily, then don't ride the raptor, that sucker will make you throw up :P
keith52 keith52
Adrenalina Sep 10, 2010
Muita adrenalina neste parque, vc tem até dor de cabeça, mas vale a pena curtir as montanhas russas. E comprar gifts do Snoopy, mascote do parque!
angee02 angee02
Not Just One Theme Park Jun 02, 2009
Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio is probably one of the best amusement parks out there. Constantly upping the bar of roller coaster extremes, Cedar Point never fails to dissppoint. From the fastest to the highest coasters, there's something for every thrill seeker - even the young ones who have their own kiddie-coaster areas.

If you're an amusement park fanatic and live in the USA, I recommend getting their season pass. For a great price you get unlimited access to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio as well as their waterpark, Soak City. Not only to you get free admission to those two parks, but season pass holders also get to park for free. At the risk of sounding like a bad infomercial announcer, but that's not all!

Cedar Point also owns 13 or 14 other amusement parks across the US and with a season pass, you get free admission to their sister parks as well as more free parking.

In just 3 visits alone, your pass has paid for itself and it is definitely worth it!

If you're around in October you have to check out HalloWeekends. Only open on Friday through Sunday, the park transforms into one giant haunted/fun house. Ghouly characters roam the walkways like normal adventure seekers and try to sneak up beside and behind you to give unexpecting people a good scare. The make-up work is amazing. There are only a few rides open during this time because some attractions become transformed into their own mini-haunted houses complete with spooky themes such as Werewolfe Canyon. Defintely a goood time but dress warm because it can get a bit chilly!
PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Jun 13, 2007
I live about an hour away from Cedar Point and have been there more times than I can count so I decided to share a review for others considering making a trip. (Please note that the pictures are from Cedar Point's website as I don't fool with cameras when I go!)http://www.cedarpoint.com

ADMISSION PRICES:

The summer of 2006 was the first year Cedar point chose to drop their admission rates. Currently (summer of 2007) a one day pass to the park only (water park and challenge park are additional) will cost an adult ages 3-61 over the height of 48" $41.95. If you're 3 and older but under 48" or over the age of 62, a one day ticket will run $11.95. If you want to go to the water park (Soak City) and the regular park for two days, that ticket runs $69.95 for regular adults, and $29.95 for under 48" and seniors. Children under the age of 2 are free. Active and retired military and their immediate families get tickets for $31. Tickets can be purchased at the gate or at many hotels and a few restaurants around Sandusky. After 5:00 p.m. on regular days when they close at 10 p.m. or later or 4:00 p.m. on days they close before 10 p.m., admission is $24.95.

PARKING:

I have never found a problem actually finding a parking place but be prepared to walk a ways. There is a shuttle available free of charge, but I've never taken it. Parking costs will run you $10 for a regular car and $15 for an oversized vehicle.

For the rest of the review, I'm going to focus on Cedar Point only, not Soak City or the Challenge Park, as I have only been to those a few times.

HOURS OF OPERATION:

Most days during the summer months (end of May - August) the park is open 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. Weekends, holidays, and early / late season times will vary. The best place to look for specific days is:

RIDES:

Cedar Point boasts over 60 rides. These numbers are approximate as there might be one or two I missed (except on the major coasters, I'm right on with that one for the year! :)

Children's Rides = 23

Tranquil Rides = 9 (Including 2 Carousels)

Spinning, Circular, Thrill Rides = 15 (One of these includes the Power Tower, which is a major attraction)

Water Rides = 2

Roller Coasters = 17. This is the most of any amusement park in the world (according to their website and advertisements)

Now, the nitty gritty on what most people want to know: ROLLER COASTERS! I've been on all but the brand new one they built this year and I'll give you my opinion of each. Please take it for that, my OPINION as you might enjoy one I think isn't so great!

COMMENTS ON LINE WAIT TIME: I'm basing line wait time comments on the days I've been there, which is always middle of the week during regular summer hours. I do NOT go weekends or holidays but I've heard it's not much different. This is entirelly situational. I've been to Cedar Point on days where it's drizzly and I've waited less than 5 minutes or walked on a major ride. My longest wait time ever clocks in at a little over 4 hours for one ride. These are extremes so I tried to think of the average I wait for each ride.

Short = under 1 hour (from entering the ride line to sitting in the seat.)

Medium = 1 - 2 hours

Long = 2+ hours

BLUE STREAK: Over 41 years old. A good, old, wooden coaster with usually a pretty short line. It's near the entrance of the park so it's a good "starter" coaster to your day. Personally, I love this one and ride it every time I go.

CEDAR CREEK MINE RIDE: This one is easy to miss in the back of the park. It's another older wooden coaster, not very fast, not very high, but still a good time. You sit in a mine-car reproduction. Some of this ride is over the water which makes it fun. Line time is short. This one is a great one to ride between the major thrill rides. It's one of those "old favorite" rides that we always speculate will someday be replaced by a bigger ride.

CORKSCREW: World's first triple looping coaster. It's rough, short, and spans the Midway. It bounces you around a lot. Line time is short to Medium. I haven't ridden this one since the introduction of the Raptor, which goes upside down more times and is smoother. This coasters roughness causes my noggin to bounce against the head restraint and gives me a headache. However, I teach 2nd grade and my students LOVE the thing.

DISASTER TRANSPORT: The only indoor roller coaster. This ride started out as an outdoor toboggan ride and they enclosed it some years back. Line time is short - medium, depending on how hot it is outside. The biggest draw to this ride is that it's air-conditioned! To me, it's a fun ride and worth the wait for more than the a/c (but a/c is nice, too!)

GEMINI: A tandem coaster. Two cars race side by side, close enough in some areas to slap hands on the slower portions. It's an older, wooden coaster that has somehow remained fairly smooth. This was probably my first roller coaster and still one of my favorites. I have never waited longer than 45 minutes for the ride but I hear stories of hour or more waits. I've never seen it.

IRON DRAGON: When this first came out, it was the coolest thing ever. You actually hang down from the track in a little car. It's over the water and has mist effects. As far as actual "thrill" goes, though, it's pretty tame. A couple sudden drops, but novice coaster riders will be comfortable on this one. Line time is short.

JR. GEMINI: This one is for the kiddos. It's clocks in at a raging 6 m.p.h. I haven't ridden it since I was a kiddo myself, but I remember BEGGING to ride it again, and again, and again...

MAGNUM XL-200: At the time it was built, it was the fastest, tallest, most thrilling coaster in the world. I remember driving up in the wintertime to see the first hill which towered at a height taller than the space shuttle. The first two hills can be heart stoppers. It's a pretty simple route but the tunnels make it fun. Line wait time is medium. On a personal note, this one was my favorite. The last few times I've ridden it however, haven't been great experiences. The lap bar dug into my thighs leaving bruises and it's gotten very rough. It was just in the news for a minor braking malfunction. I honestly think it's an awesome coaster that's gotten overlooked for the bigger, better ones. It's seen it's hayday. It's worth a ride, though.

MANTIS: You stand up and go upside down 4 times traveling 60 m.p.h. How is THAT not fun? It's a pretty long line time, though. Not for the faint of heart but a must for the thrill seeker.

MAVERICK: New this year, haven't ridden it.

MEAN STREAK: One of the tallest, fastest, and steepest wooden coasters in the world. We were there the first week it opened and waited 4+ hours to ride. Line time is considerably shorter now at medium. It's a rough ROUGH ride but fun. (By rough, I mean rattle your teeth, bone-shaking rough.)

MILLENNIUM FORCE: Stands 310 feet in the air (on the way up that first hill, look around, the scenery is beautiful), races at speeds over 90 mph, and still smooth as anything. This is my #2. I've been known to ride it multiple times in a day. You sit above a track that looks like a futuristic science fair project. It's not a ride, it's a life experience. Line time is medium to long. If you see that the line is under an hour wait, GET ON!

and now for my FAVORITE ride in the park:

RAPTOR: Your feet dangle from the track on this inverted coaster. You're in a seat with an over-the head restraint, but your feet are dangling in a ski-lift like feel. PLEASE take this piece of advise, wait the extra 15 minutes or so for the front car. It's the difference between "ho-hum" and quite literally something I CRAVE at least 3 times a year. At the lowest point, your feet come within, well, feet from the ground. At the top, before the lift chain "let's go" the front car is dangling, looking straight down, with NOTHING in front of you, and you go plummeting. Hold your hands and feet out and it's the closest thing to flying you'll get without sprouting wings. (It's a very "I'M KING OF THE WORLD" moment.) It's not the tallest, it's not the fastest, but in my opinion, it's the best. Whipping around barrel rolls with your feet and arms flailing is just awesome. Not for the faint of heart at all. Line time is usually medium. I figure at least an hour and a half if it's not very busy. This is the only ride I'm willing to wait over 2 hours for. Again, the extra 15 minutes for the front car is worth every second. At the end of the ride, I morph into an 8 year old and go sprinting from the exit to the back of the line screaming "I want to do it again!"

TOP THRILL DRAGSTER: Long line time (I've never waited less than 1 hour 45 minutes) for a ride that lasts literally seconds. However, you are propelled up a hill 420 feet tall at over 120 mph. The front car is, again, a completely different experience (better if you ask me). The pictures they take of you in the front car are priceless because your cheeks are pushed back, eyes are bulging, drool flying, and hanging on for dear life. You bet I bought mine! Again, this one is a life experience more than a "ride". Worth the wait. P.S. This site: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/coasters/top_thrill_dragster/index.cfm has a quicktime movie of the ride. Not as good as being there, but you get the idea.

WICKED TWISTER: There's a reason no one is in line for the middle of the train, it stinks. Get to an end, doesn't matter beginning or end, just get there. Think "old swinging ship ride" on steroids - and it twists. Line time is short to medium. It's near the beach so there's usually a nice breeze when you're waiting. I'd recommend this one for the thrill seeker and the novice.

WILDCAT: Old metal county-fair feel. You get in a little bug-looking car and get jerked around. It's fun but line time seems to take forever. It's only really an hour or so wait, but it seems to go slow. I usually bypass this one for the bigger ones, but it's still fun.

WOODSTOCK EXPRESS: Another kiddo ride! At 25 mph, it's a little more "thrilling" than Jr. Gemini, but a good one for the young coaster enthusiast.

FOOD:

There's a few sit-down style restaurants including Johnny Rockets (50's style burger joint). I can't tell you about the other ones because I don't take time to sit and eat when I'm there. There is a pizza place (that I HOPE is still there, it might have been in the path of the Maverick) in the back of the park that's very good too. Food is not cheap. Bottles of water will run you $3. A meal will set you back about $20 when it's all said and done. The best deal in the park is Johnny Rockets. Word of advice: Eat the French fries at the "Fat Friar", but not right before getting onto a spinny ride.

OTHER:

The landscaping is beautiful, they do a nice job of taking care of the grounds. I've never seen it trashy or dirty. Bathrooms are generally well-stocked and clean. Employees are effecient and friendly. There are live shows that are really good. If you've got a non-rider with you, they won't hurt for something to do. I'm a rider, so I usually don't hit the shows. Last year during Halloweekends (where the park gains spooky-Halloween decorations late in the season) the Red Garter Saloon had a live rock-style show that was one of the best I'd seen.

Okay, this review is now insanely long. In a nutshell, it's a great place to go for most everybody. You might want to plan a couple days as it's near impossible to do it all in one day. If you have questions, feel free to message me and I'll help the best I can. Honestly, if you've never been to Cedar Point and you're near Ohio or Southern Michigan, it's worth the trip!
The Raptor. Wait for the front ca…
The Blue Streak.
Mine Ride
Disaster Transport
prism_lace says:
I always head to the Demon Drop first to get jitters out of my body before heading on to the others. The year I went (which was like a few ago) I wanted to get on the Millenium Force, but too long in line let my paranoia fester, and I walked off. It's amazing this park, and I love it!!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2007
smhirsch smhirsch
Jul 11, 2007
Cedar Point, is a MUST SEE for anyone interested in the thrills of roller coasters. With 17 coasters, one day just isn't enough for a visit to this amusement park. There are wooden coasters, steel coasters, themed coasters, an indoor coaster, a tower (where you can be shot both up, and down), and much, much more. For those either not tall enough, or just not into the thrills of coasters, there is a ferris wheel, plenty of children's rides, bumper cars, carousels, a railway, and even steamboat ride that brings you through the Old West. One of the best parts of the park is that from just about every ride, you get a beautiful view of Lake Erie (especially at sunset).

While paying $41.95 for a "Cedar Point Funday" ticket (if you're 3-61 years old and are taller than 48") may seem like a lot, it's decent compared to Six Flags and many other amusement parks of similar nature. For those of shorter stature, defined as "under 48" tall in shoes" and any thrill seekers 62 years and up, admission is a mere $11.95. And they have some pretty sweet deals if you're planning on staying overnight to check out both Cedar Point and Soak City (which is what I definitely recommend...we were there from around 11am and left at 11pm, and only made it on 11 of the 17 coasters).

When there, I definitely recommend taking a ride on the 2nd TALLEST AND 2nd FASTEST ROLLER COASTER IN THE WORLD: Top Thrill Dragster. The line might be long, but it moves fast...seeing as the length of the ride is one of the shortest around. The ride itself, however, takes you from 0-120mph in just 4 seconds, shooting the riders up over a 420 feet tall coaster. The best part of the ride is the start. You get into the train and head to a "starting line" and just like real dragsters, you have to wait for the lights...yellow, yellow, yellow, green! In no time, you're up the coaster, with a view of Lake Erie at the top, then back down to a nice slow down at the finish. Your eyes will be tearing, your heart will be racing, and you won't be able to control your laughter. This ride is a MUST!
Random shot of just a portion of t…
The best part is that the stretche…
Heading into the park...cross "Ced…
smhirsch says:
It is DEFINITELY worth it. I would drive out there from NY in a minute to go on those rides again if I had a few days off to head out there.
Posted on: Jul 12, 2007
hklasek says:
I'm jealous that you've been to Cedar Point. I was in Sandusky when I was 12 and my parents made us go on the Lake Cruise out to Put-in-Bay. After seeing all the coasters from the boat I have been wanting to go to Cedar Point (11 years later).
Posted on: Jul 12, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Cedar Point

Cedar Point - A Roller Coaster Fan's Dream
All the time I've lived in Chicago I have really wanted to visit Cedar Point, which is located in Sandusky, Ohio.  I LOVE Roller Coasters...and growing up where I did, there just weren't many to…Cedar Point, which is located in Sandusky, Ohio.  I LOVE Roller Coasters...and growing up where I did, there…
Day Two: Football Hall of Fame and First Day in Cedar Point
After an okay breakfast after sleeping on my somewhat okay rubber bed we got back in the car and headed for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We had to park kind of far away since it was packed. There…Sandusky, Oh to go to Cedar Point. It’s mostly known for its awesome roller coasters; which is in fact…
Cedar Point
There is a nice amusement park between Cleveland and Toledo if you're in the area called Cedar Point. It has all sorts of thrill rides and usually has at least one of the "biggest," "fastest," or "ta… There is a nice amusement park between Cleveland and Toledo if you're in the area called Cedar Point. It…

Check Sandusky Hotel Deals