Cave Valaisanne et Chalet Suisse

+41 22 328 12 36

Cave Valaisanne et Chalet Suisse Geneva Reviews

Traveling_Brian Travelin…
Sep 29, 2006
You are in Switzerland... a land of cheese and chocolate. So its only natural to want to get some fondue while you are there. But how do you distinguish between the tourist traps and the real deal. After all, you've never had fondue before. So what do you do?

You ask an Italian. Okay, probably not your most likely source of information about Swiss food, but its a start.

I met Alberto in a Geneva hostel. Turns out he went to school at Geneva's University, and he had been there a while. Better yet, he actually dated a genuine Swiss Miss. So I asked him, "Where do the Swiss go when they want fondue?"

His answer: Chalet Suisse.

Say no more. I was there. I had no reason not to trust him.

And aside from the the snoody French waiter, I must say that the experience was quite pleasant. And the fondue was quite exceptional. Of course, I'm not a fondue expert... but if I had to imagine the perfect combination of cheese and wine, this was it.

The fondue was served with ample bread, and the menu has a great selection of wine. Wine is a must if you are having fondue, as they say drinking water with your fondue will cause the cheese to coagulate in your stomach, giving you an awful tummy ache.

The restaurant provides plenty of seating indoor and outdoor. I'm not sure how busy it is in the evening, but I had no problem getting a seat during lunch. I sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather, so I cannot elaborate on the interior.

The prices were reasonable. I would say average for the city, though the bill could sky rocket if you aren't careful about what you order.

They have menus in English, so those of us who are horrible at learning languages can rest assured that they won't be ordering anything they aren't expecting.

So in short, if you find yourself in Geneva and you have a hankering for some fondue... go to the place where the Swiss go. The Chalet Suisse.

Check Geneva Hotel Deals