Cathedral of Málaga

952 21 59 17

Cathedral of Málaga Malaga Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Another one that bites the dust Mar 04, 2011
The Malaga Cathedral or as it is popularly known La Manquita is huge to put it mildly and yet they have managed to put it into the centre of the inner town as the most natural of anything. Over the years I have come to love these buildings for their remarkable design and magnitude. The cathedral of the Encarnación is one of Malaga’s most important monuments.

The Catholic Monarchs ordered the construction of the building and it is today one of the best Andalucían Renaissance temples. The work began in the first half of the 16th century, in the Gothic style, and continued in the 17th and 18th centuries. The south tower and the main façade are still unfinished. The building sits where a mosque-Moorish quarter once existed.

The cathedral has its own gardens and a magnificent courtyard. The interior of the cathedral has Renaissance and Baroque influences. Most noteworthy are the choir stalls from the 17th century in the central nave and, especially, the sculptural works of Pedro de Mena. The chapels are also very interesting, such as that of the Encarnación, which gives the cathedral its name.
Chokk says:
I liked your review a lot; I was not able to get inside the cathedral which wish I had been able to after looking a your review
Vipin says:
really nicely and diligently written Christian, as always! i will delete my inferior one shortly ;)
Vipin Vipin
Impressive Nov 09, 2010
The Cathedral of Malaga is one of the city's most prominent and impressive buildings. Located in the centre of the city, the site is very near the other sites such as the Alcazaba and the Castle of Gibralfaro.

The entrance fee was 5 Euros, and was worth the money in my opinion.

If you are an architecture enthusiast, you will notice the different styles as the church has taken many years to build and the southern tower has yet to be completed.

The cathedral is a very nice place to visit. I particularly liked the ornate nature of the ceiling, but thought that the yellow coloured lighting was perhaps not the best option.

The cathedral also is a good balance between being a museum for tourists, and attracting real worshippers who live in the community. The artwork and chapels are nicely done, and are not too overpowering either.

If you are in Malaga, this has to be one of the must visits. After the cathedrals in Seville and Granada, this has to be one of the highlights in Andalucia.
Chokk says:
Great pictures from the inside - I wish I had been able to get in
montecarlostar says:
Yes, I think you are right Vipin. At least now I know what to expect, and with a clear mind I am sure I can go and admire the architecture of these buildings. I couldn't do it at the momento because of the shock and dissappointment I would say, but yes, keeping that in mind, I think it's a great opportunity to admire some great work. And I do agree with you that italian churches are the best!
Posted on: Dec 10, 2010
Vipin says:
it's a fair point, and i do agree with you, but sometimes you just can't miss out on the famous ones. they really are so beautiful, despite the lack of genuine worshippers there. so you don't miss out, maybe separate the churches you visit as a tourist and as an authentic worshipper? i hate the tourism element too, but i have been so inspired in those places nonetheless that i ignore them altogether!
Posted on: Dec 10, 2010