Cathedral of Lima

(01) 4275980

Cathedral of Lima Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Money drips, money talks Dec 06, 2013
This place is BIG, make no mistake! It's also quite modern, and has been heavily marketed to tourists given that you have to pay to enter, and you can also buy a combo ticket (Cathedral and Archbishop's palace). And as big as place as this is, the best thing about it is that it's apparently one of Peru's least visited Cathedrals (as mentioned by one of the staff herself) which means that you can wander around relaxedly without too much noise or too much rush.

The interesting thing about this place is a very rich museum located inside one of the side entrances of the church. It's amazing! As the title of my review says, MONEY INDEED DRIPS AND TALKS! Just seeing some of the pieces collected by this church was incredible. I also liked the little basement kind of thing which has a bunch of skeletons (think Catacombs on a lower scale).

I would recommend this place...if nothing, just for the sheer grandeur.
cimtech says:
Vikram, you did a lot during your Peru trip, very impressive.
I am sure you must have lost couple of pounds by doing all the activities !!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2014
Travel2014 says:
very nice pics Vikram - good to see you smiling! :D
Posted on: Jan 15, 2014
rsvpme says:
AS a piece of architecture dedicated to man's belief in God..this is a masterpiece. I was in awe.
Posted on: Jan 15, 2014
homeres homeres
Secret crypts, tons of buried folks and bones, oh yea its an active church as well! Nov 14, 2010
If you like to visit places that are strange or enjoy visiting old churches, this would be a good stop for you in Lima. Located near the Presidential Palace, inside you will find wonderful murals of the famed conqueror Francisco Pizzaro, I believe his bones are stored in box there as well. The place also offer tours in espanol only. Or if you're like me I find it more exciting to go sightseeing on my own with my own group and sneak into places blocked off that look creepy, whats the worst that can happen. Get kicked out, that would be an awesome story!
Old Frankie's bones
wonderful mural
FrankMcD says:
The Cathedral was one of my favorite places in Lima. You made me smile by reminding me of it.
Posted on: Sep 06, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Cathedral of Lima

My plans
 Thursday, September 4, 2008 (Lima)   ü      Depart Chicago in route to Lima Peru, journey of approx 16 hours o      &…Lima It was Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro who laid the first stone in the Cathedral de Lima. 15 chapels…
Peru 2007
7.9 on the scale of Richter. Less than 10 days before I was going to fly to Peru, the country suffered a tremendous earthquake with more than 500 people killed. It made havoc of archeo…cathedral and the Archbishop's Palace. Lima was founded by the Spanish soldier Francisco Pizzaro in 1535. In the cathedral
Lima - Wednesday, July 18th
No improvement on the stomach ailment on Wednesday except that I didn´t need to use the facilities, just the pain in the stomach (forgot that other side effect from the antibiotic.  You can for…Lima to see the Cathedral and I didn't want to back out.  I had been waiting to see it for over…

Check Lima Hotel Deals