Catedral de Cordoba (Antigua Mezquita)

Cordoba, Spain

Catedral de Cordoba (Antigua Mezquita) Reviews

loripori loripori
La Mezquita Catedral Jan 22, 2017
February, 2008

I was so excited to finally see the world-famous LA MEZQUITA CATEDRAL DE CORDOBA and I was certainly not disappointed. The Cathedral was absolutely huge and at 23,000 square metres, it is the third largest in the world. The Mezquita stands right in the center of the city, surrounded by the Old Jewish and Moorish quarters.

My first impression when I walked in was that it was quite dark in there, but once my eyes adjusted to the natural lighting, things took on a different perspective.

The Mosque / Cathedral has a Califal style which combines Roman, Gothic, Byzantine, Syrian and Persian elements.

Construction started in 784.

Caliph Abderraman I built the colossal hall, consisting of 11 naves with 110 columns. The capitals were taken from old Roman and Byzantine buildings. Alhakem II, in 961, built the Minaret, Mihrab and the Kliba.

The Mosque was converted to a Cathedral after the Reconquista in the 14th century.

Whan Cordoba was reconquered by the Christians in 1236, the new rulers of the city were so awed by its beauty that they left it standing, building their Cathedral in the midst of its rows of arches and columns and creating the extraordinary Mosque / Cathedral we see today.

We did not have to make advanced reservations to visit the Mezquita (as we did with the Alhambra in Granada). The only drawback was because it was Saturday and mass celebrations were being held inside, we were not allowed to enter until 1:00 p.m. so we just visited the El Alcazar first.

Address: Calle Cardenal Herrero, 1
La Mezquita
sarahelaine sarahela…
Mezquita/ Cordoba Cathedral Oct 12, 2011
The Mezquita of Cordoba is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen.

There has been a place of worship on this site for thousands of years, from a pagan temple through a visigoth church to the modern blend of Islamic and 16th century Christian styles.

The mix of architectural styles is dazzling. From the original, delicate terracota and white arches of the mosque, to the dazzling mihrab (prayer niche) that has somehow survived the fact that Cordoba was the headquarters of the Inquisition, and the 16th century cathedral in the middle, there can be few buildings anything like it in the world. Personally, I prefer the aesthetics and clean lines of the islamic sections to the ornate decoration in the christian part. The Mihrab is decorated with golden cubes that were the gift of the Christian emperor in Constantinople (it does take a bit of a moment to get your head around the Muslim ruler of Spain being given gold for his mihrab by the Christian ruler of a chunk of Turkey) and is simply stunning.

Despite being a major tourist attraction, there is a real sense of peace in the cool, dim building. I would love to return early in the morning when it is mostly empty.

The visit starts in the Patio, full of fountains and orange trees, which is free to visit. An entry fee (8 Euros in October 2011) is payable for the mezquita itself (free before 10.30). It shuts on Sunday morning for mass.
Tower on the site of the minaret
Mezquita
Mezquita
Patio of the oranges
davidx says:
I have been here four times and the burst of excitement on entering was as great on the fourth as on the first. For the first three I could not bring myself to look at the cathedral but now, having done so, I admit grudgingly that it is a quality building . however you must be right in preferring those fabulous Muslim arches.
Posted on: Dec 12, 2011
montecarlostar says:
This place is definitively a must for me whenever I go to Spain.
Posted on: Dec 11, 2011
Chokk says:
I found this place totally stunning
Posted on: Oct 15, 2011
Chokk Chokk
Catedral de Cordoba (Antigua Mezquita) Jul 23, 2009
One of the high-lights of any visit to Cordoba must be Catedral de Cordoba (Antigua Mezquita). Building this astonishing mosque started as early as in 756 and continued over next 300 of years.

Around year 1000 Cordoba was the centre of Europe and being a city of 500.000 people. The city had succeeded Byzantium and Bagdad in science, culture and scholarship, and in this metropol the most important building was the Great Mosque.

Even after the Christians captured the city, Cordoba’s the beauty was so obvious that it took centuries before there were some rebuilding of the mosque to a Christian church. In 1523 they completed the Cathedral Coro sponsored by the King Carlos V and who realized the mistake by telling the chapter upon seeing the completed work "You have built what or others might have built everywhere, but you have destroyed something that was unique to the world"

I must admit that standing in this building made me small. I found the building impressive and one of these buildings I will remember for life like; Haghia Sophia, Alhambra, Parthenon, Acropolis and some more.

The building is awesome and made my history books become real again.
Inside the fabulous Catedral de Co…

Related Travel Blogs About Catedral de Cordoba (Antigua Mezquita)

Finally I had the possibility to visit Cordoba
I had missed on Cordoba the other times I had been driving around in Andalusia, which by now had been a lot. Cordoba was supposed to be a wonderful city so I don't really have an explanation on why. …Catedral de Cordoba (Antigua Mezquita). Inside their garden was magnificent but the most stunning was the inside of it. Parts…

Check Cordoba Hotel Deals