Catacombs of Paris

Paris, France

Catacombs of Paris Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Catacombes of Paris May 19, 2012
The catacombs in Paris is a huge underground tunnel system with a whole lot of bones en skulls.

Yes you did here correct, skulls and bones.

Around 1786 there were to many dead people and to little graveyards to bury them. So they had to do something about it as there was no stopping the dead.

Alexander Lenoir (a police lieutenant) who came with the idea of using the empty old underground mine tunnels. They choose a place south of Paris. Now known as Denfert-Rocherau (the metro station you have to get out to visit the catacombs).

It took nightly horse rides with priest leading them the way to the mines.

In 1810 the catacombs became what it is now a days. bones and skulls sculptured into what some may call art.

It took us about 2 hours waiting in line to get in.

12-24 will pay 4 euro but you do have to proof that you are in fact 24. If nt you pay 8 euro's.

You have to use the stairs to go downstairs. 135 steps to be exact. Then there is a huge tunnel system you have to walk thought till you get to the port which says: Arrête! C'est ici l'empire de la Mort ('Halt! This is the Empire of the Dead'). After that you enter the walls coverd in bones and skulls.

it's about a 1.5 km walk under ground end you will get out on another part then were you get in.

I think it is soworht a visit!

You can do a guided tour, we did not do that so I don't know if you have to book it upfront or if you can arange it at the door.

Be willing to wait in line for quit a while but it isdefinitelyywortht it!

Fact:

The French resistance did use the tunnels during WO II
Glynnes says:
An Excellent Review! Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: May 22, 2012
ratu ratu
Amazing! Apr 26, 2010
This was the second time that I have been in Paris and believe me or not that place is what I wanted to see mainly!

The Catacombs, let you remember that:

"There's a city under the city"

Each street have a twin 20 meters under our feet.

You will notice that the temperature down there is always constant arround 13Cº

Don't worry, more pics will come...

From their home page:

The Catacombs of Paris (the “municipal Ossuary”) have been created at the end of the 18th century. The cemetery of Innocent (close to Saint-Eustace, in the district of the "Halles") had been used during nearly ten centuries and had become the origin of infection for all the inhabitants of the district. After multiple complaints, the Council of State, by decision of November 9, 1785, pronounced the removal and the evacuation of the cemetery of the Innocent ones.
No need explanation, right?
Kathryn Kathryn
Goulish sights below Paris Jan 04, 2007
In the Middle Ages the catacombs were quarries. They remained so until the end of the 18th century when Parisian cemeteries were so crowded as to cause public health issues. It was then that city officials decided to use the area as a burial ground for over 6 million ghoulishly arranged, skull-and-crossbones skeletons. First opening in 1810, visitors could explore the 2,986 ft. (910m) of “empire of the dead” tunnels, now illuminated with electric lights over its entire length.

I thought it was pretty cool that during World War II this was the headquarters of the French Resistance. I wonder if they hold Halloween parties down there? Best party setting ever! As you go along you are not allowed to take flash photos as the flash would ruin others’ night vision. I used the really long shutter setting on my camera for most of my pictures. For a few I used the flashlight and there are also some with flash as I just waited until no one was around and took a quick shot. The flashlight was fun to use as that's how I got my favorite "Muah aah ahh ahhhhh!" picture.

I'm not sure if the place is usually crowded but it was fairly empty for us when we went Jan. 4th 2007. Pretty crazy when you realize all the neatly stacked and sometimes decoratively arranged skulls are completely real! It is also weird that you are pretty seriously underground. Even the Metro underground was a few stories above us.
Muah aah ahh ahhhhh!
Very neatly arranged skulls and bo…
Very neatly arranged skulls and bo…
the_bill the_bill
Nov 19, 2004
A collection of subterranean tunnels in Paris that were turned in large burial ground in the 18th century. There is an official tourist entrance, but some also use "unofficial" entrances. A very interesting and unique experience.

Related Travel Blogs About Catacombs of Paris

Last Night in Paris, Catacombs, Dinner in Monmartre :)
I met up with Derek to check out the Catacombs, luckily they have just reopened and we could both visit properly... Catacombs are trully eary and spooky, they are the site where bodies where kept wh…Catacombs are trully eary and spooky, they are the site where bodies where kept when a large part of paris
only 2 Months left to go
I'll tell you its been soooo long planning for this trip, I've been telling my parents/friends I'm going to travel to europe for like the past 4 yrs :P ....After countless hours of deciding what plac…Paris Catacombs 2. Pere Lachaise Cemetery 3. Notre Dame Cathedral • Lucerne: ⁃ Mt. Stanserhorn (SF 43.00) • Munich: • Tyrol: ⁃ Swarovski Crystal…
A bag, some bones, and a mad dash...Paris
The morning began with Angela attempting to track down her bag.  Continental said they had it at the airport and this was perfect because it allowed me to go to the catacombs, as I was the only …Catacombs of Paris.  I had tried to find the catacombs on a previous trip to Paris with…

Check Paris Hotel Deals