Castle Pub & Grill

4400 Singing Hills Boulevard, Sioux City, IA, USA
www.castlepub1.com - (712) 271-8699
Castle Pub & Grill - delicious pizza!  pepperoni with green, yellow and red peppers
Castle Pub & Grill - Castle Pub interior
Castle Pub & Grill - Pub's castle theme - restrooms for Lords and Ladies
Castle Pub & Grill - castle 'towers' and 'drawbridge'
Castle Pub & Grill - Castle Pub exterior

Castle Pub & Grill Sioux City Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Excellent pizza, but horrible service Oct 08, 2011
Castle Pub & Grille looked intriguing from its castle exterior, so we decided to stop in for a drink and late dinner. At first the place seemed pretty cool, but things went down hill fast. The service was lacking and trying to pay was a nightmare.

We walked into the place thinking it must be pretty good because it was busy with lots of groups of people at tables. We found a small table near the back and shortly after sitting, the waitress found us to take our drink orders. Okay, so far so good. The beer was pretty cheap - $3.50 for a tall beer. The odd thing is, when you order, you are supposed to pay right away or give a credit card for a tab. I suppose that is how it is in most bars....but this will come up again later in this review. Just remember she took our credit card. With out giving us a bill.

We asked about food. Well, they don't really have much for food. Mostly appetizers, but the waitress highly recommended the pizza. We ordered a 12" pizza to share, then ordered some poppers for an appetizer. I asked what they were, did they have jalapenos? She said no, it was cream cheese or cheddar. So I asked if it was like cheese curds, you know, deep fried cheese? She wasn't sure. Well we ordered the poppers anyway.

The atmosphere was pretty low key. Most of the guys were watching the football game. The jukebox was playing, but not too loud. The groups were all talking, but not too loud. Then a group comes in that has already had a bit to drink. They were loud, dancing, getting shots, and doing weird things. Whatever, I guess, but it seemed really out of place here. And they were really loud and obnoxious.

The pizza came out and was excellent. Very, very delicious. The only complaint was it was not very warm. But there was a good seasoning, pizza sauce and crust. But where were the poppers? No sign of them. Turns out our waitress is new and didn't place the order correctly so the cooks didn't know what to make. In fact, she showed us her order slip because she was trying to figure out what beers we ordered and was having trouble keeping track of our order. Who knows what all is getting charged on that credit card. Which by the way, is sitting on top in her little order book so whenever she opens it, anyone can see the card number.

Someone eventually brought out the poppers and she brought us the waters we ordered. Turns out they did have jalapenos. It took me a while to get to the water, because I was drinking my beer. When I got to the water...well, it wasn't water. No clue what it was. Something super sugary sweet. And red. Really? How do you mess up a water order?

We were getting sick of the place. Crazy, loud people nearby, messed up food and drink orders, and a credit card wandering around the bar. This isn't right. The waitress came back and said the card wasn't working, is there another card we can use? We had asked if they took American Express and she said yes, but now was saying apparently they don't. So we gave her a Visa card. Meanwhile, she asked if she left her pen at our table. No... She asked if we had a pen. We did. She took it and then walked away. Without asking to borrow it. She came back after awhile saying she needed to have her manager help her for some reason. But the Visa didn't run through either. She thought maybe because it was a Perks card. Oh really? How do you get that? We just used the card all over Europe with no problem, but now we can't use it here? She actually asked if we had another card. I did, but we decided it was best to pay cash.

We never did see a written bill. I asked how much the bill was and she told us. So that was what we left in cash. I think they left the poppers off the bill, which was fine, because they didn't come out until after the pizza was half gone. So much for being an appetizer. She was actually pretty attentive and did come to our table several times to check on us. She just forgot to bring what we asked for. And we should not have had that much trouble trying to pay our bill or keeping our order straight (and separated from other peoples' order!). She asked if they could give us drinks on the house, but we had enough of that place and left.

So I'm torn on this place. It was really nice inside and had a very mixed generational group of people. We didn't feel out of place at all. Mostly it was a typical bar, until the rowdy group came in. The waitress stopped by often. But the whole billing fiasco is enough to never come back here again. We are still checking with the credit card companies to see what charges were put on those cards that shouldn't have been. We wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we paid in cash, plus on two credit cards, plus the tabs of hundreds of other people. The only thing that keeps this place from getting only 1 star is because the pizza was so good. I would only come here again if I was ordering pizza to go and paying in cash. Or just drinking and paying in cash. So be warned!
delicious pizza! pepperoni with g…
Castle Pub interior
Pub's castle theme - restrooms for…
castle "towers" and "drawbridge"
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Stigen says:
congrats on you feature ! sounds like that girl will have a steep learning curve..
cthunder86 says:
Congrats on your feature!

Check Sioux City Hotel Deals