Castelo dos Mouros

Sintra, Portugal

Castelo dos Mouros Sintra Reviews

davidx davidx
'It's just nature' Mar 10, 1999
The title shows the words of a particularly garrulous man who shared our table when we were eating outdoors in Lisbon. H was trying to distinguish the charms of the Castle of the Moors from those of the National and Pena Palaces, also at Sintra.

My friend and I had both been ill and still had limited energy. We had already decided that on a trip to Sintra we should give priority to the Castle of the Moors. Of course what the man had said could not be correct - castles are simply not 'just nature.' Even so it made a sort of sense. The ruins of the walls, towers and turrets were very obvious and it was great fun following the walls along the ledge - once the effort of geting there was over.

I have read on one website about 500 steps and I presume that must allude to the walk from Sintra. In that sense we cheated by using the bus to a point not too far from the ledge. 'It's just nature' did not even apply to the view in that the Pena Palace was visible from many points. What was true was that if you took away the mountains and the gorgeous woods, the Castelo dos Mouros would have appealed solely to fervent archaeologists!

Related Travel Blogs About Castelo dos Mouros

Superb Sintra
I suppose it's odd for me to call Sintra superb as it's no place for anybody who cannot manage masses of steps and steep slopes. It's true that we were neither of us able to get as much from the visi…Sintra station to the town and National Palace, the Castelo dos Mouros and Pena Palace. Ian and I had decided…

Check Sintra Hotel Deals