Castelo dos Mouros

Sintra, Portugal

Castelo dos Mouros Sintra Reviews

slothtraveller slothtra…
The Moorish Castle Feb 02, 2017
High up above Sintra perched on a rocky crag, you will find the ruins of a Moorish castle dating back to the 8th century. From the walls of the castle, known as Castelo dos Mouros in Portuguese, you can enjoy great views over Sintra and the surrounding area. You can even see the coast and the town of Cascais in the distance. One thing I noticed was how much cooler it was up on the castle walls compared to down in old Sintra. This is due to the castle being 1,378 feet above sea level. Built during the Arab occupation, the castle has endured a tumultuous history. It was ceded to Afonso Henriques' forces following the conquest of Lisbon in 1147. In 1755, a massive earthquake struck the Lisbon area and the castle became unstable and a no-go zone. Fortunately, a grand conservation project under the orders of Ferdinand II in 1840 restored the castle to its former glory and additional reconstructions over the 19th and 20th centuries have made the castle a far visitor-friendly place. As the castle is situated up in the hills, access is not easy and visitors with disabilities may struggle. I chose to take the bus to the castle ticket booth and it is still a relatively steep climb on a dirt track to reach the castle entrance from there. I'm really glad that I took the time to visit the castle though as the views are amazing and being able to walk the medieval walls was a fantastic experience.

Entry to the Castelo dos Mouros costs 6,50 Euros. Buy your ticket at the roadside ticket office and make the final ascent via a twisty path to the castle entrance. You can also buy a joint ticket for the castle and the Pena Palace, but I decided just to go to the castle.

Directions: Accessible via a steep walk from Sintra or a tourist bus route.

Phone: +351 21 923 7300

Website: https://www.parquesdesintra.pt/parques-jardins-e-monumentos/castelo-dos-mouros/descricao/
Moorish Castle
Views from the Moorish Castle
Castelo dos Mouros
davidx davidx
'It's just nature' Mar 10, 1999
The title shows the words of a particularly garrulous man who shared our table when we were eating outdoors in Lisbon. H was trying to distinguish the charms of the Castle of the Moors from those of the National and Pena Palaces, also at Sintra.

My friend and I had both been ill and still had limited energy. We had already decided that on a trip to Sintra we should give priority to the Castle of the Moors. Of course what the man had said could not be correct - castles are simply not 'just nature.' Even so it made a sort of sense. The ruins of the walls, towers and turrets were very obvious and it was great fun following the walls along the ledge - once the effort of geting there was over.

I have read on one website about 500 steps and I presume that must allude to the walk from Sintra. In that sense we cheated by using the bus to a point not too far from the ledge. 'It's just nature' did not even apply to the view in that the Pena Palace was visible from many points. What was true was that if you took away the mountains and the gorgeous woods, the Castelo dos Mouros would have appealed solely to fervent archaeologists!

Related Travel Blogs About Castelo dos Mouros

Superb Sintra
I suppose it's odd for me to call Sintra superb as it's no place for anybody who cannot manage masses of steps and steep slopes. It's true that we were neither of us able to get as much from the visi…Sintra station to the town and National Palace, the Castelo dos Mouros and Pena Palace. Ian and I had decided…

Check Sintra Hotel Deals