Casino El Camino

www.casinoelcamino.net - (512) 469-9330

Casino El Camino Austin Reviews

Eric Eric
Mar 14, 2007
You wouldn't know that this place served burgers from its cryptic name. And, after walking into the dark, dungeon-like interior, the main things you notice are the menacing looking gargoyle statue hanging over the bar and the menacing looking bartender who looks like he wants to kick your ass.

At least this was my first impression of Casino El Camino. Even though I had heard that they served good burgers here, I felt like I was in the wrong place entirely. It didn't seem like an establishment that served food, and I felt almost idiotic when I asked the bartender if they had burgers here. He pointed me to the back of the bar, which contained a small room fancifully named "Hell's Kitchen." I placed my order then quickly retreated to one of the tables by the bar.

Although I was almost sure of certain death upon first walking in, this dark, gritty tavern with its hellish decorations was starting to grow on me. It had character, at least. Among the only sources of light in the room were two TV's playing the latest Bond movie, "Casino Royale". In any other place, it might have seemed tacky. But here, it fit the mood perfectly, and I settled into my seat and watched Mr. Bond save the world's largest plane from certain destruction and woo a dozen women while I waited for my food.

The burgers here are called some of the best of Texas. Texas is synonymous with "big", so I wasn't too shocked when my burger showed up with the biggest hamburger patty I have ever seen. The patty was at least 1.25" thick, and the entire burger was one of those culinary skyscrapers that are impossible to fit vertically into your mouth. I chomped away at my burger while watching Bond dispatch of a team of sword-wielding assassins.

Overall, I would call the burger good but not mindblowing. For sheer quantity, though, you can't beat the $6 price tag. Even if you aren't a burger fan, this place is worth checking out for the one-of-a-kind ambiance.
Casino El Camino sign.
lucyrupert says:
No mention of the bands you saw? or the nightlife?
Posted on: Sep 11, 2007