Casino Bar

(208) 726-3526

Casino Bar Ketchum Reviews

NeverLift NeverLift
A true cowboy town dive bar Apr 30, 2011
Well, the beer isn't free, nor are the tables . . .

Was in Sun Valley for spring skiing late one March, decades ago. That is a major mistake, don't do it! The Lodge was open but almost empty, no entertainment or jollity of any kind, 3/4s of the mountain was actually closed, they'd taken off all the snowmaking heads -- and still charged full price. Skied the same damned 5 runs all that week.

But that's another review.

After two evenings of boredom, went into town looking for some action, started at a rather good Italian restaurant (which I no longer see on Google Maps), afterwards sat at the bar in the bar, only patron present. Asked the bartender where there might be something entertaining going on, he suggested, "Casino Bar." What happens there? I asked. Exact quote: "Beer, pool, fights."

Of course I went there immediately. First sat at the bar with my beer, a semi-conversation started by the fellow in the next stool, yep, he was drunk, when he started to express some irritation at the Rich who built and skied Sun Valley and ruined the town, I decided to move upwind, hung out around the tables, put my quarters down, played.

That first encounter was not typical. All the rest were more than friendly, pointing out to me when my quarters were next, playing partners with me when the place got crowded.

One almost-fight broke out, two young alphas deciding to measure each other over some trivial matter until their girl friends got between them, broke it up, each telling the other how lucky he was that happened.

Had so much fun, spent every evening there. (Not much to do if you don't drink beer or play pool, except a few couples were moving as one in an empty space when the music was right -- juke box, of course.) Wandered to some other watering holes, all almost empty, none with the character and downright friendly patronage of the Casino.

BTW: I was the only Sun Valley skier in the place, didn't make a feature of it unless asked. So, don't carry your Gucci, don't wear your Versace, leave that thin striped Armani shirt at the Lodge. Your comfortable jeans (snug for the ladies, that is standard and appreciated), worn cowboy boots if you got 'em (I had old sneakers), just hang out and join in.

Check Ketchum Hotel Deals