Casa de Piedra Lodge

Check Mindo Hotel Deals

Casa de Piedra Lodge Mindo Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Casa de Piedra Lodge Oct 25, 2016
Casa de Piedra Lodge is one of those surprising gems that you find in unlikely places. Maybe it is not so surprising anymore because the little town of Mindo become the destination to go for rainforest lovers, and anyone that enjoys in relatively unattached nature. Are is also known for its butterflies, chocolate and very nice waterfalls. It is fairly easy to get there from the Quito, and there is even an direct bus that takes you to the center of the village. I took another option, a bus that dropped me at the top of the hill where the main road connects with the Mindo road, and from there I got in the back of the pick-up truck that charged me 1$ to the town.

It was fairly easy to find the Casa de Piedra. Of course, driver of the pickup truck knew about it because town is very small, and he dropped me in the center, just after the little river, which is close to the Casa. When I say “center” it is more like intersection of the main street with another… Next block, there is a nice park and after that you are almost out of the town. All together maybe 6-7 blocks makes Mindo. Casa de Piedra is no the side of the river and there is small road to get to it, or you can walk and cross nice metal pedestrian bridge over the river.

There is no sign, but you’ll see gate in the front of you and simply go in and ask… The owner made a nice hang out area in the front, with wooden tables and clear cover that protects you from the rain. First building is a kitchen, food area, place where you can get information and drinks, and it is the place where owner lives. Behind that building there is a nice swimming pool with the deck full of pool chairs.

The rooms are located in very cool house in the garden. It has three floors and no too many rooms. Bottom made of stone, but house is wooden. It kind of looks like you are in the Switzerland or something like that. The owner has a good taste and everything is properly equipped. The whole house is no shoes area, so you will leave your shoes before entering the stairs or the common area. Bottom floor also features fusbal table and billiard table. It is a cool place to hang out if it’s raining outside.

I was there during off-season so I could choose my room, and I went for the rooftop place, nice, cozy, with whole wall of windows. Windows that open have net, so there is no many bugs in the room. Of course, we are in the rain forest so you will find some ants or smaller insects, but that’s normal and ok. Bathroom is also well done, modern and clean. Garden that surrounds the building extends around and you can even camp if you wish. There are some cabanas in the back, but I did not bother to go there. Don’t get me wrong, it is beautiful garden, I just did not go to there to check cabanas. Hammocks are all around, just perfect for siesta or book reading.

Great place, a bit more expensive than some other options but well worth it. Breakfast is also available.

Check Mindo Hotel Deals