Casa Semuc

Check Coban Hotel Deals

Casa Semuc Coban Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Casa Semuc Dec 09, 2012
Everything started when I turned right at El Rancho…

I chose the of Coban as a gateway to Peten area and springboard to Semuc Champai national park. It was a bit difficult to explain to the local people where I am headed to, because there is also city of Copan in Honduras, and that name is very similar to big city in Guatemala… Pretty much, every time I ask locals for directions, they were sending me to the place where I came from. Anyway, important info is that there is direct bus from crossroads named El Rancho to the Coban, and do NOT take bus that goes to Salama because you will lose couple more hours on your trip. If it happens that you are in the bus to Salama, get out on the intersection before bus starts decent to the Salama valley.

Coban is surprisingly nice city that harbors large market and has couple of nice churches. I arrived to the bus station reserved for smaller buses and vans which is couple of kilometers away from the center. Walk is not hard and if you keep asking people for direction, you’ll eventually arrive to the plaza with main cathedral. I was planning on staying in a hostel in the center, but that place was closed year earlier, so I strolled around, looking for the other options. Accidentally I saw this big sign that said Casa Semuc, and I entered to ask for the price. Being only 30 quetzales (around $5) for dormitory it looked like perfect place to crash for couple of days.

Dorm was small and clean, with bathrooms just outside of the room. I am still not sure if this place is hostel or just a small hotel with rooms geared towards families. Showers had only cold water, which was a bit uncomfortable at that time of the year, but if you look on the bright side, it is refreshing to have shower after all day of walk. Large and beautifully designed living area offered very comfortable sofas and TV with many English speaking channels. They do not offer any food, but you can manage good eating all over the city.

Location is just under the main plaza, close to the street markets and many small restaurants in the area. There is 24h guard that doubles most of the time as a receptionist. Right behind the reception they have bunch of computers for your internet needs.
Dorm room