Casa Ridgeway

Check San Jose Hotel Deals

Casa Ridgeway San Jose Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Quiet, Comfortable, Reasonable Apr 19, 2012
I chose to stay at Casa Ridgeway because my guidebook described it as quiet and peaceful, and that’s what I was in the mood for. I was only in San Jose for one night and I needed to get my shit together more than I needed to party. Casa Ridgeway is located in central San Jose, close to the Plaza de la Democracia and the Organismo de Investigacíon Judicial. I thought I may need those landmarks to communicate my destination to the cab driver, but it turned out that he knew Casa Ridgeway by name and took me straight there without needing more information. The cab ride from the airport cost about $30 and took roughly 30 minutes in light traffic.

Casa Ridgeway is on a quiet side street and does not have a large sign, so it’s not the kind of place you find by accident.

The woman who answered the door spoke English and was very friendly. I did not have a reservation but there were plenty of rooms available. (I suggest making a reservation if you are visiting during the dry season – the hostel isn’t very large) I paid $22 for a single room with a shared bath. Each room is dedicated to someone who has contributed to peace in one way or another . I stayed in the Aung San Suu Kyi room. The room was modest and clean.

The room had a double bed, a single bed, a small table and clothing rack. There was plenty of space to unpack my stuff and reorganize. The bathroom and shower were only 3 meters down the hall and also quite clean. The hot water came from a suicide shower-head, and it worked well if you kept the water pressure low. Towels were provided.

I didn’t use the kitchen, but I saw that it was large and open and appeared to have everything you’d need for self-catering. Typical Costa Rican breakfast was included with the stay - gallo pinto, eggs and of course coffee – and it was perfectly adequate but nothing remarkable. If you don’t want to cook for yourself at the hostel, there is a good restaurant a few blocks away called Shakti (I suggest buying a loaf of their carrot bread for take-away, it was delicious)

The area surrounding the hostel appeared harmless enough, though I didn’t wander around after dark to confirm this. It was easy to catch a cab from the main street half a block away. Checkout time is 10am so there is no need to rush out in the morning unless you have somewhere else to be.

Other amenities at the hostel included a TV and a few computers for internet access which I did not use. There is also a peace center/library/meeting room which I also did not use. Most books in the library were in Spanish.

I found Casa Ridgeway exactly how it was described in the guidebook - quiet, clean, secure and practical. If you are staying in San Jose and not trying to party then this is a good place to stay. However, if I was going to do it over again I would not bother going in to San Jose for a hostel. I would stay closer to the airport in Alajuela and spend $4 on a cab ride instead of $30. It is easy to take a $1 dollar bus from Alajuela to San Jose (they run almost constantly) and I’d rather spend my money on food and drinks than on getting in to San Jose. Unless you have a very early bus to catch there is no reason to stay in San Jose.
The Aung San Suu Kyi room