Casa Luna Cooking School

Ubud, Indonesia

Casa Luna Cooking School Ubud Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
Amazing experience Mar 25, 2016
I searched for a cooking class I think on TB, I have never tried one out but now it will be my new travel thing to do. I saw 1 review on here that raved about it. So I set up a reservation. Each day has a different menu, I eat mostly veggie so chose the Vegetarian saturday class as the menu sounded delicious.

The cost is high I think in comparision to other cooking schools in Ubud but the food and surroundings made it worth the 450,000IDR. They even arranged a free pick up for me as I was a little bit out of Ubud.

We arrive into this beautiful gem of a hotel, called the honeymoon hotel, big open space, traditional architecture, rice terraces to the rear and out front is a temple like courtyard and pool for guests.

Janet, the owner, started off by talking about the health benefits of the ingredients we were going to use and their availability in other parts of the world. I had no idea of the benefits and some people in the group duscussed that they had been using certain ingredients for certain ailmenrs and how much they had benefitted. Very informative. We then go through how to the select the best ingredients and which parts to use whilst cooking.

The recipe consisted of a bamboo curry, pumpkin curry, sambal goreng, urab and Tempe sambal penyat.

We start off by prepping our veg, cutting, dicing and 'smooshing' using a traditional indonesian pestle and mortar. The smell of the ingredients before cooking anything was incredible. We didnt all cook individually but instead worked together to produce 1 mass of each course, taking turns in the process. Then the best part of enjoying it. I can honestly say hands down that my lunch that day was the best food I have ever tasted in my life. So flavoursome and it tasted light and fresh. Weirdly I felt clean eating it not full and groggy. The Tempe and the Pumpkin curry were my favourite. At the end you can keep the recipe book so I will need to attempt to make these at home, then have a dinner party for others to try out.

If you are in Ubud and a cooking fan I'd highly recommend it. If not for sure pay a visit to the restaraunt. You will not be disappointed. If I am ever back in Ubud I will sign up for a another class. I have attached some pictures for some serious drooling.

Check Ubud Hotel Deals