Casa Grande Ruins National Monument

1100 West Ruins Drive, Casa Grande, AZ, USA - (520) 723-3172

Casa Grande Ruins National Monument Reviews

camwilde camwilde
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument Feb 14, 2013
As part of my quest to see all the units of the National Park System, I couldn't pass by my chance to stop at this unit. It is pretty small and includes a Visitor's Center that leads to the ruins behind. Cost to enter is $5 a person.

The monument celebrates the people of the Hohokam period and their archealogical brilliance. It has been protected since 1892 and a large roof was built over the Great House to protect it from the weather.

I went with my family which included 2 children, a 5 year old and a 1 year old. The 5 year old participated in the Junior Ranger Program (even though one of the rangers doubted her). It consists of a Kid Table (where they can touch a lot of desert item like rattlesnake skin), answering questions found in the Visitor's Center and a scavenger hunt around the ruins.

Overall, we enjoyed the park and got to know a little bit about the people who once inhabited the Southern Arizona region.
Kids in front of the sign
Visiting Casa Grande ruins
Playing in front of the kids table
kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
Casa Grande National Monument May 10, 2011
Situated approximately half way between Phoenix and Tucson, the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is an interesting way to spend an hour or two. It cost $5 to get in in 2010, and that pass is good for a full week. I don't know why you'd want to go back every day for a week, but you never know.

The Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is the first archeological reserve in the United States, dating back to 1892 when it was first recognized for it's cultural significance of pre-colonial history, and a national monument in 1918. It is a settlement of the Hohokam people, who lived in the Sonoran desert, and one of the largest pre-colonial structures in the United States as well. The purpose of the casa grande, or great house, remains a mystery, and it's believed that this settlement was abandoned around 1450. The Hohokam people also developed an elaborate irrigation and farming system and had an elaborate trade system set up as well.

The great house has a protective structure around and over it to protect it from the elements, and there are also other ruins on the settlement grounds, most of which seem to be the remains of walls, though you can also tell that some of these appear to be what is left of what may have been living and/or storage areas for the community, but no other full structures are on the site. There is also a "ball field" on the grounds which is believed to be the recreational area of the Hohokam.

Related Travel Blogs About Casa Grande Ruins National Monument

Apache Junction, AZ to Casa Grande, AZ
    Re’, we went to the Grayhound Track today so Dave could “have the experience”.  Darn….they went and closed the track 4 years ago, now it is just weeds and bunnies (real o…Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.   We were lucky enough to time it just right for the ranger…
Cacti everywhere
We woke up before the sun and were on the road with the sunrise, again we headed to pick up the guys and head off to Tombstone AZ.  We left early enough that theere was no traffic which I was ve…Casa Grande Ruins National Monument in Coolidge AZ.  Well we got to the park too early so we could…
Case Grande Ruins National Monument
After we left tombstone, Homer Simpson was directing me to the Casa Grande National Monument in Coolidge AZ.  We made it to the park with not much time to spare it closed at five pm and we arriv… After we left tombstone, Homer Simpson was directing me to the Casa Grande National Monument in Coolidge AZ…

Check Casa Grande Hotel Deals