Casa Babylon

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

Casa Babylon Quetzaltenango Reviews

MeganMelissa MeganMel…
Jul 25, 2007
Ugh, though I gave this place an average rating, it's just because the food is average. The service is really awful. Then again, I only went there once, but based on that one experience, I would never go back. We went at around 9:30 at night, and yes, there was a group of us, but there was one waitress for the entire restaurant. We had to ask three times for two bottles of water, I had to go downstairs to get my own silverware, and the food took probably an hour or so to get to us. And then it was average. I mean, I wouldn't say it was the worst place I've ever been to, but I surely wouldn't give them any more of my quetzales!
tnvettel says:
Please, ignore people who judge based on one visit. Casa Babylon is owned by friends of mine. I lived in Xela two years and can tell you that both the locals and tourists love the place. The owner is from France and is a trained chef. He fell in love with a local, married her and stayed in Xela. Their restaurant is rated one of the tops by Lonely Planet. Also, there is such a thing as "guatemala time" which, actually, should be called "travel time." If you go to a foreign country, you need to suspend your rules for the trip--not impose them on the locals. Otherwise, you are not a traveler, you are a tourist. Megan was a tourist of the worst kind. I also worked at Casa Babylon. If i'd been there, she'd have gotten the two bottles of water dumped on her. Check out the place...and check out the coffee house across the street: Cafe Baviera. Avoid like the plague the tourist hangouts of pseudo-travelers who go to watch videos and listen to music from 'home.' Or, just stay home so the rest of us can enjoy the world on its terms.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2011