Casa Amina

Check Chefchaouen Hotel Deals

Casa Amina Chefchaouen Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Casa Amina Jan 23, 2017
Casa Amina was my first experience of Moroccan hospitality, and it went pretty well. Little mountain town of Chefchaouen was not too far from the Ceuta so I decided to test my luck and try to get there during the light of the day. I got into medina just as the sunset sent orange rays all over this blue city. One guy told me that they painted the whole city blue fairly recently and only because women of the town wanted to make it a bit uniform and fresher… To me it looks as they had lots of blue color that was left over from something so they used it and reused it on everything that was on the way. Trick with the old buildings that are made of mud or other softer natural materials is that you have to paint the walls. Otherwise wind and the rain can make some serious damage to your house.

Directions were very straight forward. Get through the main gate and keep it right until you hit the sign of Casa Amina. Well, when you get through the gate, you are in the market area and streets are very small and narrow. Navigating your way in those condition is definitely a challenge, but I made it without any sidetracking. The only sidetrack were some boys that were trying to sell me hash and send me to another hostel. They failed, I made it to the Amina’s door without any problems heheh

So, casa Amina is not really a hostel, but more of a guest house/ home stay. It is an old building, owned by the family that runs it. Mom takes care of the kitchen and cleanliness, dad and boys are there for guests and general issues. In Morocco everything is always negotiable, so go for the price that you see as the fair one.

First night, I was in the small room that looked more as a food storage hallway. It is located on the staircase that connects the floors so everyone passes by your door. Nothing looks secure or private around here, so you’ll have to trust that all is fine. Of course, family that runs the place is more than trustworthy, nice and pleasant, but I have been traveling for a while now and certain things (such as lockers) make me feel a bit more secure.

Of course as tradition requires, mint tea was always available. House has three floors that are accessible with small stairs which swirl in one of the corners. Second floor has beautiful balcony that overlooks the first floor. All rooms are different and filled with carpets and old things. If you keep going up with the stairs, you’ll get to the rooftop area that features few chairs and lots of roofs to look at heheh

Internet is pretty good. Bathrooms are on the first floor. Kind of tricky to get in because they have doors that are super small so you’ll have to bend in. Showers are nice and warm, they provide the towel. Most of the first floor is in tiles.

Next day I moved into the larger room. This one was super nice, specious and it had iconic doorway and lots of details.

Very unique place, good people, warmly recommended.

Check Chefchaouen Hotel Deals