Carnival Cruise Line -- Carnival Spirit

Alaska, United States

Carnival Cruise Line -- Carnival Spirit Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
The Fun Ships Jan 14, 2010
I sailed aboard the Carnival Spirit to Alaska and had an absolutely wonderful time. It was my first experience cruising and I loved it.

My travel buddies and I, four of us in two cabins, had interior rooms, just below the Lido Deck -- all too convenient to the buffet! We figured we wouldn't be in our rooms that much anyway. Plus, I had been told that the sway of the boat wasn't as noticeable in the interior of the ship. I had been warned that the rooms would be on the small side, but they weren't so small that claustrophobia set in (that's what I had imagined). The bathroom was on the tiny side, but seriously -- how much time should you spend in the bathroom anyway? Each day, we had a towel animal greeting us after the rooms had been serviced. My favorite was the monkey hanging from the mirror.

There is a MULTITUDE of food and dining options aboard. The Lido Deck held the buffet where we ate breakfast and lunch (we did eat breakfast one morning in the dining hall, though, to check it out, but we preferred the buffet). The buffet options were incredible, offering every type of cuisine -- from good ole American to Chinese to pizza and even a custom sandwich station. Our evening dining was excellent. I never ate a bad meal (even the one that sent me to the infirmary wasn't bad, but more about that later). The best: the chateau-briand prepared to a perfect medium rare. And actually, the diet coconut cake was probably the best dessert I ate, so don't let 'diet' mislead you.

Each night, we attended the entertainment performance. We watched a ventriloquist (I somehow ended up on stage), the Vegas-style show, the hypnotist and the Carnival singers (the male lead apparently had been on America's Got Talent). The final night was the talent show; a karaoke competition among the cruisers where 'Dolly Parton', 'Garth Brooks' and 'Sonny and Cher' made appearances.

Sailing through the Inside Passage, everyday offered the chance to see wildlife. An onboard naturalist kept the passengers aware of nearby wildlife -- one afternoon orcas were swimming on both sides of the ship and it seemed like the passengers were running back and forth to rock the boat.

I can even report on the Spirit's infirmary. I was unknowingly allergic to shellfish and ate lobster for dinner. I suffered a severe reaction and spent a few hours in the infirmary. I couldn't have asked for a nicer on-call nurse and doctor. I am absolutely petrified of needles and panic at the very thought of having shots. But, they were so compassionate and treated my reaction, and my panic-attacks with extreme care. I am actually grateful I had the reaction on the cruise, because I knew where to go for treatment. (If I'd been at Red Lobster somewhere???)

All in all, I had a great cruise experience aboard the Carnival Spirit and I'm looking forward to sailing again!
Our ship in port in Skagway.
A interesting chandelier on the sh…
our cabin
Africancrab says:
Beautiful reveiw, thanks for sharing :)
Posted on: Jan 13, 2010