Carnevale di Venezia (The Venice Carnival)

Piazza San Marco, Venice, Italy

Carnevale di Venezia (The Venice Carnival) Reviews

Ameliaallen Ameliaal…
Venice Jul 06, 2011
I went to vencie just overnight but for two full days - it is a beautiful city but there is not much to do there except for shopping, so my advice is to make it a day trip or go prepared to do a lot of shopping! Its nice to just walk around and get a feel for the city. Another piece of advice would to be to go in a low season (if that even exists there) because fighting the crowds of tourists can be exhausting!
GeorgiaBaillieu GeorgiaB…
A cultural tradition not to be missed! Jun 20, 2011
If you don't have a fear of crowded places then Carnevale in Venice is an event not to be missed. Traditional masked costumes are breathtaking. Crowds file into Piazza San Marco early in order to avoid being shut out due to over crowding. The colours, variety of modern and traditional costumes and live entertainment make for an unforgettable day/days depending on how long you choose to stay. The best part is you can come for the day and not spend a cent by just admiring the partakers. My only word of warning is either book a seat on the train or be prepared to squeeze into the aisles or sit on the floor!
todayisagift says:
Hi do you know if its best to go the carnival at the start or at the end of the 12 days?
Posted on: Jul 08, 2011
aelder2259 aelder22…
Go as a group and wear costumes Feb 17, 2007
Ten of us rented an apartment together instead of getting hotel rooms. Click here to see details of the apartment. I highly recommend traveling with friends during Carnivale. We had a blast!

One of the things I didn't expect was to have my picture taken...alot! I'm used to being on the other side of the camera. But since I was in costume, along with my friends, it took us around two hours to cross St. Mark's Square because everyone was stopping us to take our picture.

We didn't go to any of the balls....way too expensive (around $800 each, in most cases). But we did manage to get into the exclusive Florian...only those in costume were allowed in, in most cases. I felt like we were with the elite!

If you like to take photographs, get up at a little before dawn and head over to the piazza di San Marco where you'll have the est light to photograph dozens of people in costume. The costumes during the day tend to be full mask and more "costumey" whereas at night they are more 18th century.
todayisagift says:
Posted on: Jul 08, 2011
Rin21 says:
I was curious about the apartment. How long did your group stay to rent an apt? Also, I couldn't figure out where to click to see photos of it. Sorry. I'm new to the site. I just joined today. Thanks!
Posted on: Jun 01, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Carnevale di Venezia (The Venice Carnival)

2006 - Il Carnevale di Venezia (The Venice Carnival)
Anyone who knows Venice, knows about The Venice Carnival. Venice is the Italian 'Rio'!.  It takes place the 2 weeks before Ash Wednesday every year and is a must for anyone visiting Italy d… Anyone who knows Venice, knows about The Venice CarnivalVenice is the Italian 'Rio'!.  It…

Check Venice Hotel Deals