Carnegie Deli

854 Seventh Ave. at 55th Street, New York, NY, USA - 800-334-5606 or 212-757-2245

Carnegie Deli New York Reviews

janiexscott janiexsc…
PRICEY!!!! Jul 23, 2010
Come with an appetite and fat wallet! The rueben was good, but other than that...nothing special at all. The sandwhiches are huge, expensive and they will charge you $3 for sharing. one can eat a whole sandwhich. Good grief! It's one of those things you say..."yeah, we went to carnegie deli while in nyc". Wouldn't do it again.
Andy99 Andy99
That Most Famous of New York Delis Apr 09, 2009
Carnegie Deli may be the most well-known of the New York deli restaurants. If you have never experienced a New York deli, this is a good place to begin! Carnegie Deli conveniently located on 7th Avenue two blocks down from Carnegie Hall and not far from Times Square and the Theatre District.

Pastrami. Corned beef. Roast beef. They are the traditional sandwich staples here. (Many other sandwich varieties are also on the menu.) Be aware that the individual portions are huge! Susan and I shared a regular hot pastrami sandwich and side of potato salad rather than order a larger combo meal sandwich. (There is a $3 charge for sharing, but there is so much food, it is worth it.) Julia had a (footlong) hot dog and French fries. Naturally, a dish of pickles is found at each table. We eschewed ordering one of the huge slices of cheesecake!

The pastrami was tender and delicious! As good as deli sandwiches are at home, they're nothing like the real thing!

Service is fast. If the waiters are somewhat brusque, it's part of the ambiance (and they get the food out quickly). Also adding to the ambiance are the many autographed photos of celebrities from entertainment and politics. Everyone has eaten here, from Al Gore to Joel Grey to Jennifer Lopez!

Carnegie Deli accepts only cash. No credit cards. The waiters do remind you to leave their tip on the table. (They probably are used to being stiffed.)
Carnegie Deli
Carnegie Deli interior
Celebrity photos at Carnegie Deli
missandrea81 says:
Sounds like a great NY experience.
Posted on: Apr 17, 2009
Tylerrc34 Tylerrc34
Affordable restaurant for Manhattan Mar 10, 2009
Carnegie Deli is cheap compared to most restaurants in New York City but the plates were still $15 and up. No refills on drinks either haha. It sounded like most people around me were enjoying their food and most orders were pastrami sandwiches. I ordered a pastrami sandwich and I discovered that the buildings weren't the only skyscrapers in the city, this sandwich had to be 10" tall. And there were two of them. The waitress was old and nice to us but she was very rude to a couple that sat behind us because they only knew French.
pinchora pinchora
Largest sandwich in the world... with only cash please Jan 02, 2007
When I worked in the Pittsburgh Airport I asked a couple from the outskirts of the city if they never been to NYC before what is the one place they would want to go... well, I guess if a person has never been to NYC before where should that person go. They told me, without a doubt, Carnegie Deli.

They told me that the sandwiches are huge and I would not be dissapointed.

The restaurant is small, like all other NYC restaurants. There are big plank tables and you are to sit at them with elbows of people you don't know knocking at you. On the walls are photo's of famous people who have eaten there. The ambiance is nice and the people who eat there are even nicer as I was able to hold onto a nice conversation about the Tribeca film fetival with a lovely couple.

Carnegie deli is famous for a couple things; cheesecake, blintzes, and pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. So when in Rome... I got a pastrami sandwich. The sandwhich came out and I had to cut it with my knife because it couldn't fit in my mouth... it was absolutely delicious.... maybe next time I'll get a blintz... I didn't eat the cheesecake because the one person I was with is Veggitarian and we went to a vegan bodega to get cookies there.

But there are some things to remember... they have some strange rules.

1.) if you have party of 5 they add on 15% gratuity

2.) they do not take credit cards or checks... only cold hard cash or travelers checks

3.) Minimum check per person has to be $12.50

4.) the sandwiches are expensive... $21 a sandwich and if you share a plate add on $3 to the order

If you're in Jersey or Vegas visit their other locations at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas and Six Flags in New Jersey.

And if that doesn't do you can get anything from their menu fedex'd to you front door! (well, not in the world... only to the continental 48 United states!)

Check New York Hotel Deals