Carlyle

4000 Campbell Avenue, Arlington, VA, USA

Carlyle Arlington Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of American cuisine, however, the place was packed, so maybe I'm the minority Feb 05, 2011
I was invited to a birthday dinner at Carlyle and did't even look at the menu before I arrived. I figured it was American cuisine. The menu has a variety of food ranging from steak, pork, burgers/sandwiches, salmon, crab cakes-I ordered trout.

My trout was not very seasoned and it was supposed to be pecan crusted. I had had pecan crusted fish at another restaurant and by comparison, this fish was no good. It was served with Parmesan potatoes, but they were not presented in a texture that I enjoyed and were as bland as the fish. The vegetable was arugula with lemon juice. I would have preferred the asparagus that came along with some of the other dishes.

The appetizers were much better than the dinner. They had fire cracker shrimp that were really good (if you like spicy food), the calamari was gone within 1 pass around the table of 8, the artichoke dip didn't really have any cheese in it (does that mean it was healthier?) and then egg rolls looked OK, but I don't like corn in mine.

They had a fairly good Riesling, but I get concerned when my wine is served from a bottle with a twist off top. The server was pretty cool and he tried to be funny.

It's near Shirlington and parking is ridiculous, but after you take a lap or two, just park in the lot, but be sure to read the signs. Some spots are reserved for employees in the area until 11pm. Street parking must feed the meters til 6pm and are free on Sundays and holidays. There is no metro nearby. Call in advance, don't just pop up-the place is crowded.

I have no reason to ever go back, but hope you enjoy yourself.
vances says:
Guess I won't be visiting anytime soon, but we recently ate out at a joint where the house wine was out of a box (Black Box, I think)...and it was actually not bad!
Posted on: Feb 05, 2011
jeffludvik jeffludv…
Feb 02, 2008
Located on a street filled with all sorts of restaurants and bars, Carlyle is in an fun, vibrant area. With wait times upwards of 90 minutes, you need to call ahead on weekends. We arrived and only had to wait 10 minutes after having called in an hour and a half before.

For appetizers, my coworkers and I scarfed down some crispy calamari accompanied by delicious seared Ahi tuna. I ordered a clean Grey Goose martini with three olives to wash it all down. Later followed by a gin and tonic. For dinner I had the "fish of the day", which happened to be Rock fish which was served with asparagus and wild rice (but I opted for Parmesan mashed potatoes instead of rice...very good!). For dessert I shared Apple pie with vanilla ice cream, also a great dish.

The entire restaurant was packed and had a great atmosphere. It has two levels and we sat upstairs in a booth. I highly recommend this place even if you are staying in DC. It's just 10 minutes south on 395.

Check Arlington Hotel Deals