Cardinal Rive Gauche Paris

Cardinal Rive Gauche Paris Rates and Deals

Cardinal Rive Gauche Paris Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Convenient Hotel in Paris Latin Quarter Jul 03, 1999
This hotel is centrally located in the 5th Arrondissement (Latin Quarter) of Paris, quite near the Jardin des Plantes, and within a short walking distance of Notre Dame. It's on one of those narrow Paris streets (Rue Pascal) that more often than not seems congested with a delivery truck or two, and the occasional construction dumpster, but this is typical in the narrow backstreets of Paris. The hotel itself was of modest size and decorated in that way that was a little old fashioned in my opinion, but then again, that's Paris sometimes too. Many such hotels like this in Paris seem to have an old style flavor to them, but that is part of their charm as well in some cases as long as they are well maintained and do not have a worn out, neglected or really tacky look.

I had no major complaints here. The room was comfortable, even if a bit gaudy, so to speak, for my taste. It was hit and miss with the staff regarding English - sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. This never really bothers me, and help is good when you can find it, but when not it's an adventure to figure things out for yourself. I mainly chose the hotel for the price and location. A cheap place in the latin quarter is something I enjoy. Mind you, I stayed here way back in 1999, so I can't speak of the prices today there, but it was decent value for the location back then. Of course the currency value of the French Franc and Euro was quite favorable in exchange for the United states dollar back in 1999 and a USD went a long way. The USD/Euro exchange rate is not so good these days (as this review is written), but somewhat more favorable than it was in recent years certainly. Anyway, one must always take the current exchange rate into consideration in whether a hotel is good value for the price.

If adventurous, as I was back then, you can take the Roissybus from Charles DeGaulle Airport. I caught this bus at terminal D, exit 11 (sortie 11 in French), which took me to Place de L'Opera. Go to the left when exiting the bus and cross the street when you see the Opera Building. Walk around the Opera to the right and cross the street to the Opera Metro. From here you can catch a metro train in the direction of 7-Villejuif. It's nine stops to Censier Daubenton station and get off here. Go to the right when exiting this station and head down Rue Monge. Take a right on Rue Claude Bernard. Rue Pascal is a short way up (1st left) and the hotel is on your right just a short way up Rue Pascal.

As a retro review I can say I enjoyed the place back then. It was very conveniently located and within walking distance of the things I wanted to see. There are shops, grocery, restaurants and such places on Rue Claude Bernard a short distance around the corner that can provide all your shopping & eating needs. The metro is nearby too, so you can get where you want to be anywhere in Paris quick enough if you don't feel to walk too far, but even Notre Dame is less than 10 minutes walk, and the Louvre another 10 minutes walt from there. As I always say in my retro reviews, not much changes in places like these over the years, so I don't feel 'out of touch' in recommending it. The location for seeing sights and the abundance of shops and restaurants nearby was an advantage. There was even an open air market nearby too for fresh fruit, produce and other assorted foods to pack for a day of traveling.
Hotel Cardinal plaque
Hotel Cardinal street view (Rue Pa…
Hotel Cardinal sign (cropped)
Room
spocklogic says:
Thanks, Jim & cj - Fortunately I used to keep a detailed journal on my adventures, so digging up some old school ones is fun to look back on for me and fun to write about. It's interesting how reading those old journal entries brings back memories of things I thought I'd forgotten. It's part of why I like TB so much too and it's sort of been my journal now since I joined here in 2008.
rsvpme says:
That drips ..Nice..in my book
ccjbeachbum says:
old school reviews nice

Cardinal Rive Gauche Paris Overview

Located on Rue Pascal, the Comfort Cardinal Rive Gauche Hotel is situated on the left bank and is close to numerous popular attractions, including Notre Dame, the Pantheon and many more.

Paris Orly Airport is only about 13 kilometers from the Comfort Cardinal Rive Gauche Hotel, which is approximately 20 minutes by car. Les Gobelins, the nearest metro to the hotel, will take guests to a variety of different attractions throughout the city.

Twin and queen rooms are available at the hotel. Cable television and air conditioning are provided in each room. A total of 34 guestrooms are available.

Recently refurbished, the hotel provides completely modern amenities and services including multilingual staff and breakfast services. In addition to the numerous attractions located nearby, there are a number of shops, cafes and restaurants which guests can explore during their leisure time.

Cardinal Rive Gauche Amenities

• TV
  • Desk
  • Facsimile
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower