Caragh Restaurant

106 New Street, Killarney, Ireland
+353 64 31645

Caragh Restaurant Killarney Reviews

trippinginnederland tripping…
Best Recommendation in Killarney. Best affordable Fish Pie in Kerry! Nov 13, 2010
On the day of our arrival, we asked the owner of the guesthouse if he had any recommendation of places where we could dine. Bugger...the man knows nothing and said everything was good.

We were exploring the city centre of Killarney and it was time for dinner. We looked around and saw Subway, I REALLY wanted to avoid Subway because somehow, wherever we had vacationed, we would end up having our meal at Subway!

My guy decided to use his handy gadget, the iPhone 4. He browsed the TripAdvisor whereby there wasn't any restaurants or cafes nearby thus, we checked out TravBuddy! YAY! The only place recommended in Killarney so we decided to look for it and try it out. Saved by my schatje's iPhone!

It was a good service, a loud spoken lady (yeah, with a booming voice) led us to a table and brought us the menu. We ordered half a pint of Guiness and an orange Fanta. We looked through the menu and weren't sure what to order but what looked tempting to us was the Fish Pie which cost us 12,25 Euro. It included a salad and potato (which is mashed potato) OR fries. The fish pie was well presented as the chef had piped the mashed potato. They stuck a lemon wedge on the side; a little chopped parsley dusted on the tip of the wedge. The fish pie was cooked in cream, and it didn't just consist of fish but also shrimps and mussels! It was simply fantastic and one of the best recommendations we got from TravBuddy (yup, the other recommendation was the lobster soup in Iceland).

It was really filling and for that kind of pricing it was considered cheap. The waitress did come by to ask how we're doing and we said we're good. I told her, 'Compliments to the chef.' Indeed, you could hear her telling that to the chef since she had such a loud voice.

We had read somewhere on Lonely Planet and TripAdvisor that somewhere in Cahersiveen, there's a restaurant, QC's whereby they have wonderful dishes. We went to check that out...and I'll be doing a review on that next. Anyway, to sum it up...The Caragh (in Killarney), serves up way better and affordable fish pie.

On our last evening in Killarney, we'd decided to go to The Caragh again and had Fish Pie again! It was wonderful and we still had excellent and friendly services. Too bad the Guiness draught wasn't working thus, my guy had Carlsberg instead. It was still good. Beer from the draught, never seem to disappoint him :) Everything was great and I really had to compliment them.

I was really glad that it is against the law to smoke indoors :)

If you're ever in Killarney, Kerry, Ireland. You HAVE to drop by in The Caragh and enjoy a meal there. Do dine there; you'll not regret it :D
Cover of the menu.
The menu.
Love the sign!
Orange Fanta and half a pint of Gu…
X_Drive X_Drive
Jun 04, 2005
It was a stroke of luck that brought us to this little place. We had walked the entire College Street area were a little let down to have not found anything to our liking.  Then I saw this little place just down the side street. A small line of people waiting for tables, which was a good sign.  This place was so crowded with locals that we knew it had to be good.

I love to eat where the locals eat. They know the best spots!

Although the place specialises in steaks, Irish stew, roast Kerry lamb and baked Kerry ham, we had the Filet of Cod (batter dipped). I had chips (fries) and my wife had boiled potatoes. The salad was different. Made up of regular lettuce, potatoe salad, cole slaw, egg, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Actually quite good. We even followed the meal with a very decedent dessert. Hot Fudge Cake with ice cream and hot fudge sauce all over. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Hummingbird Hummingb…
Local Irish dinner Jun 04, 2005
Just off the main old town section of Killarney we found this great little place to eat. A line of people waiting to get a table was our first clue to the good eats inside. And they all looked to be locals. We love to eat where the locals eat. They know where the good food is.

They specialize in steaks, Irish stew, roast Kerry lamb and baked Kerry ham, but we choose to have the Filet of Cod (batter dipped). I had boiled potatoes and hubby had chips (fries). The salad was a combination of lettuce, potato salad, cole slaw, egg, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Yes, a little of everything and it was wonderful. We even had dessert, a very decedent Hot Fudge Cake with ice cream and hot fudge sauce all over. Yummmmmy! And the prices were very low.

Check Killarney Hotel Deals