EuropeItalyRomeRome Tips

Rome, Italy

Car rental in Rome Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Hertz car rental in Rome May 12, 2008
The last day of our stay we could see that the rain would be falling in Rome so we decided to rent a car. It also would make our check-out from the hotel easier since we had a late flight out of Italy.

We went to Hertz and wanted to have a small car that we would pick up at the Termini Train station and drop of at the airport. We got a Ford Focus which is a mid size car and it was ok for us.

We picked up the car at the garage of the SAS Radisson hotel at Via Giovanni Giolitti on the 7th floor - it took us almost 10 min to drive the car out of the parking.

After this the fun starts; driving around in Rome. For one like me it is great fun, I really enjoyed it. It is like a street race where everybody is against each other. There are very few road lines so everybody makes up their own, and the major thing is to make it first to the corner. I saw a large amount of cars driving pass red light, so you have to be alert.

I am used to drive with GPS but here was none, so we where looking at our map while driving, which only covered the city centre. This was rather funny too, Kaija does not know how to read a map so we had some strange detours.

If you stay in the city Centre don't rent a car, there is no need for it but if you do, then take a small one like a SMART and with full insurance!
Even small cars needs to park
bernard69 says:
I agree,don't rent a car in Centro Roma
Posted on: Aug 17, 2008
markinldn says:
Those guys in Italy though not only wanted to keep all my deposit but also put some service charge on it which was actually higher than refilling the tank twice - lol.
Posted on: May 19, 2008
markinldn says:
Unfortunately this is common practice and they charge deposit for the fuel which is equivalent of one tank. So no matter how much fuel is left in the tank deposit is non refundable unless the car is returned with the full tank and the whole deposite in this case is refuned.
Posted on: May 19, 2008