Capulin Vulcano, N. Monument, Capulin, N.M. USA

Capulin, New Mexico

Capulin Vulcano, N. Monument, Capulin, N.M. USA Reviews

walterman9999 walterma…
Capulin Vulcano N. Monument, Capulin, N.M. USA Mar 17, 2015
I used to be a man who would drive the interstates across America. Later with the modern four lane interstates, they would run into gridlock in the big western cities with 40 mile backups with traffic driving from slow to stopped.

I still drive interstate hwys. now but there are about six major western cities I will not drive through starting with Dallas, TX. Since Texas and New Mex. has some very good straight US hwys. I avoid the big cities and drive fast through the desert with few towns to deal with. I was driving fast (within speed limits) on US 87 in NE New Mex. in a hurry to make my camp in Colorado. I was driving through a featureless scrub desert. Then volcanic features came into view. Finally a big volcano came into view and it peaked my interest. It was Capulin Volcano N.M. and on a whim I went out of my way to visit the volcano. I paid a small fee for enterance and the park ranger told me that it was ladybug (beetle) mating season and the ladybugs were concentrating on this volcano. I drove about halfway up the volcano and a dense forest appeared with deer feeding near the road. The road up stayed enjoyable in the forest till the road ended at the rim of the volcano. There was a big void or crater inside the volcano. There were two hiking trails to pick from. One trail was a rough trail down the crater that I could go down, but would have a serious problem getting back up. The second trail was a 1.1 mile trail making a circle around the rim, and I picked that trail.

The rim trail was in good shape and a easy walk. About half way around the volcano I started seeing large groups of ladybug (beatles) on rocks. I never seen that many ladybugs in my life. I finished my hike and returned to my truck with very good memorys about this unforseen detour. It was dark before I reached a poor camp in Colorado, but I was happy with the volcano visit.
Capulin Volcano (outside)