Cappello

Newtown, Johannesburg, South Africa

Cappello Johannesburg Reviews

SoloSister SoloSist…
Just wanna chill Jun 08, 2008
I was in the mood for cocktails and good company and Cappellos more than delivered on both. What better way to spend my Sunday afternoon chilling with friends?

Based in Newtown - an artistic district near down town Jo'burg, which is experiencing a resurgance in fantastic nightlife and artistic entertainment - Cappello's is beautifully simple.

There are a few tables outside, sidewalk cafe style, which is wonderful for some afternoon sun on a winter's day and inside are huge, comfy leather couches to just chill and relax. They have massive windows all around so you still get come good sunshine and can watch the world go by.

The music was funky, the magharitas were plenty, the friends were fantastic and the crowd was very mellow. Plus, they had a big screen so I could watch Nadal trash Federer :)

All in all, an eventful day and a rock solid good time.

Cappellos - see you next Sunday!
expressoh says:
I was in the mood for a nice little tasty meal and good glass of wine after heading to the State Theatre in Pretoria to watch a performance of the opera La Traviata with a group of amusing and slightly bizarre friends last night. I sniffed around and discovered to my relief the State Theatre offers the vibey and tasteful Cappello experience . Yay ! No stodgy apartheid -era venue for us ! What a horror awaited ... the table was booked and we were geared up for chilling before the performance.

The place was a shambles, no-one had reserved our table , or atleast none of the staff were interested in sorting us out with one. Half the crowd were pissed juveniles jiving in their seats to MTV blasting on the plasma screens, the other half were bewildered theatre goers wishing they'd made plans to find a more appropriate venue to compliment their theatre experience. I was cool with it, I like drunk juveniles, they are often interesting eye candy and if they're in good spirits they are good fun .
We wedged ourselves in at the bar , that's ok, the barmen were rushed and flustered. The drinks came nice and quickly but , no ice until I had hollered three times, feeeeeelthy glasses, I swear mine had a pap smear on it !

We wanted food, Pizza was a challenge the waiter told us so we ok-ish fillets and chips. Then for the shanks experience... the filthiest toilets since china town...no soap, no towels, BLACK basins disgusting floors.

Kak , kak , kak... Capello you don't deserve our business... and neither do we deserve you !
Posted on: Jul 24, 2010