Cape Town Fish Market

Shop No L16 SunCoast Casino & Entertainment World 20 Battery Beach Road, Durban, South Africa
www.ctfm.co.za - 031 368 3320

Cape Town Fish Market Durban Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Quality seafood in great locations around the city. Jun 11, 2010
Another of South Africa's chain restaurants, Cape Town Fish Market features good seafood and affordable sushi at some great locations throughout the city of Durban. I've seen the uShaka Marine World and the Gateway locations, and I've eaten twice at the Suncoast location. All of the locations have inside and outside seating and are in interesting areas, either for the scenery or the people watching.

Both times I've been to CTFM I've had the sushi. The sushi is priced averagely for Durban, but is cheaper when compared to what I pay in the states. I love sushi, so cheap sushi that isn't crap is a big draw for me. The offerings at CTFM are pretty standard - Salmon, Tuna, Ebi, Unagi, etc. but are tasty and sized well. They do have a few specialty type rolls as well, but I've stuck to the staples. The first time I went I tried their $10 Sushi combo platter (called the "Ena Deluxe") and it had 11 pieces of sashimi, ngiri and roll, and it was perfect for how hungry I was. The second time back I opted to sit at the rotating sushi bar, where they food travels around on a tiny conveyor belt and you just take what you want. Putting me in front of a bar where I just take what I want is not a good idea, because I end up taking more than I should and paying a lot of money for my sushi gluttony. Still, for what I'd pay in the US, it's a good deal.

The menu has plenty of non-sushi items including some non-seafood options. They have a single teppenyaki table (so you can get the food but you don't get the show as you would at a Japanese Steakhouse) and a great deal that I haven't tried yet, where you get a full meal and 10 different wine samples for just over $20 USD. I was going to save most of my wine sampling for the Cape Town tours, but I may give this a go if I feel so inclined.

The restaurant has a card you can purchase for about $14 which gives you 20% off of your bill for everything you order between 4pm and 6pm. If I was going to be in Durban for an extended period of time, I would certain pick up that card and make this my sushi restaurant of choice. However, I've yet to explore many of the other sushi restaurants here, and there are many. Places north of the city in the Umhlanga area offer half off on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I will investigate those deals soon.

All in all, Cape Town Fish Market is a good restaurant in great locations, slightly more upscale than John Dory's. If you are from the US, you'll be happy with the prices. I'm not convinced that it's the best place around, but if you are in the touristy spots and want to spring for a nice meal, this place is the way to go.

Check Durban Hotel Deals