Canutillo

Canutillo, Texas

Canutillo Reviews

BASAIC BASAIC
Nice Church; Not Much Else Oct 26, 2017
My intention was to drive the back roads into Anthony, Texas and find the Super 8 to get a room. As I was approaching what I thought was Anthony, I saw the dome of a fairly large and pretty church. I drove over to it and looked around taking a picture of it. When I Googled it to get more information on it, I found we were not in Anthony but in the nearby town of Canutillo, Texas. Canutillo is a decent sized town of about 6300 (up 23% since 2000) located at Exit 11A, Interstate 10 and the intersection of several Texas Highways but mainly Highway 20. Canutillo is a rather poor town that is 91% Hispanic. Canutillo was established in the early 1900s. In 1911, several businesses formed here including: A general merchandise store, a grocery, and a barber shop. The Santa Fe Railroad also built a depot here in 1911 and the first school was opened. Within another few years a harness shop, the Canutillo Lumber Company and other businesses were added. Early in the town's history, the schools were run by El Paso; but in 1959 Canutillo established its own school district.
St. Patricks Catholic Church