Canadian Museum of Civilization

100 Laurier Street, Gatineau, Canada

Canadian Museum of Civilization Gatineau Reviews

waterfordgirl waterfor…
Canadian Civilization Jan 04, 2010
My favorite museum of the multitudes of museums in Ottawa. The museum has a variety of temporary and permanent exhibitions. The permanent exhibits deal with historic moments in Canada's past, important leaders, and the various cultures which make up Canada. The Children's Museum, postal museum and an imax theater are on site.

"The Canada Hall" is my favorite permanent exhibition. It deals with 1000yrs of Canada's history, and a has a lot of interactive features. If short on time I'd recommend skipping the "The Canadian Personalities Hall". Almost the entire exhibit is text panels. So it's pretty dry, even for someone interested in history.

Admission is pretty reasonable at $12 for an adult, and various deals for students/seniors/children. Additionally every Thursday from 4pm to 8pm the museum is free to the public. My visits have varied in length, but you can easily see the whole museum within the free admission hours. I'd also recommend taking public transit to the museum, as parking can be fairly pricey in the area.
waterfordgirl says:
Haha, my chosen profession makes me a bit of museum nerd :)
Posted on: Apr 21, 2011
travelman727 says:
Nice review! Thanks to you, I plan on visiting this museum on my next trip to Ottawa :-D
Posted on: Apr 21, 2011
peppertm peppertm
An OK museum Aug 07, 2010
Some of the exhibitions were really interesting and some of the exhibitions were boring and we just flew through. There were a lot of people there, and there was a lot to see. The interesting exhibitions were very informative and for $12, it was worth the visit, but I would tell people to go to other attractions before this one. Also, I would time the visit in order to see an IMAX movie. We didn’t have time to watch one if we wanted to get back in time for dinner and the Parliament light show.
Canadian Museum of Civilization