Campo Santo cemetery

Sint-Amandsberg, Belgium

Campo Santo cemetery Sint-Amandsberg Reviews

Ils1976 Ils1976
Père-Lachaise of Ghent May 15, 2016
For some strange reason I must confess that I rather enjoy walking on a cemetery, unlike most people I am sure, just because of the serenity that is going on as well as for the peace and quiet. I don't know when this strange fascination came to place, maybe just because I was curious how other cemeteries looked like when I was traveling abroad or just maybe I am a weird person, but whatever the case ... whenever I get the chance to visit one I have never seen before, it gets my utmost attention.

A friend of mine once told me that Campo Santo, which is situated in the small town of Sint-Amandsberg and secretly refers to an important burial place in Rome (Italy), was also called the Père-Lachaise of Ghent and although I have been a few times to this more than impressive cemetery in Paris, for some reason I had never heard of the this smaller version which was only a few hours car ride away from my hometown.

One winters day, together with a few friends, we took of to this mysterious place, which is also the final resting place of quite a few prominent figures of Belgians cultural life during the 19th and 20th century.

Not knowing what to expect and to be honest, completely unaware who those important writers, painters or poets were ... I was more than pleasantly surprised when I left the place a few hours later, but sadly enough I have to say that in no way it reminds me of that other infamous resting place located in the outskirts of Paris.

The location however is not one to be denied either coz on the premises there is a sand hill with a small chapel which is in a way the ideal place to have an oversight on the entire domain which is still till this day the final resting place of loads of local parishioners.
Ils1976 says:
that's maybe true as well Walter! :)
Posted on: Jun 05, 2016
walterman9999 says:
Well done Ils...nothing morbid about paying respects to the departed. One by one we will all have out turn in being recycled.
Posted on: May 31, 2016
Ils1976 says:
hahaha, thanks to this review I learned that I am not the only one with this "fascination" and this is nice to know actually ... thanks for checking out the pictures Melanie! :D
Posted on: May 22, 2016

Compare Ghent Hotel Rates (2.2km away)

Sint-Amandsberg Map