Camping and hiking

Catalina, Arizona

Camping and hiking Catalina Reviews

scuba_me scuba_me
Jun 30, 2007
Visited the Catalina Mountains this wknd. It was hot!!! As Arizona is generally hot, sometimes as you go up in elevation, the temp can drop a bit, but the elevation is not high enough to drop the temp any at the Catalina State park. The purpose behind my visit was go to hiking. I took a tent, they do have little bbq pits there for cooking something on a grill. The facilities were nice as they had showers avaiable which made cooling off a bit easier. There is not alot of shade, so bring your own tarp w/ bungee cords or 550 cord, and make your own shade. There were birds that were pretty brave, you'd catch the occasional prarie dog, and jack rabbit, a few road runners. Once it cooled down (after sunset), it was rather nice.

As far as the hike went, I wanted to see Romero Pools. On the way up, there is also Montrose pools, but that was dried up as can be. The total distance from the trail head to Romero pools is 2.8Km. It is by no means a straight distance hike, it is filled w/ twists and turns up and down a few mountains. For me it was a great hike, but make sure you do it early in the morning to beat the heat. I took 2L of water with me, and I usually do not consume alot of water, but I ended up running out about 3/4 of the way back. I would recommend a walking stick as there are a few places that are a little steep, and make sure your hiking shoes are comfortable! I think the best time to go is when the water is actually flowing (maybe after storms). There is zero resting spots w/ shade until about 3/4 of the way up to the pools, then you'll find about 7 between the first and the pools.

Over all, enjoyable experience for me as I like to push myself, but definitely not a first timer hike for the out of shape! Sorry no photos, I need to buy another camera, and didn't think of taking my phone till after I had already started up on the hike. To camp out the total was like $10 for over night. Happy trails!

Check Catalina Hotel Deals