Camel trekking - Rajastahn

Camel trekking - Rajastahn Pushkar Reviews

filthyjabba filthyja…
4 days 5 nights in the desert, sleeping under the stars Apr 13, 2010
Hey Guys,

Noticed there was nothing up here about the infamous camel treks in Rajastahan...or maybe I didn't really look hard enough.

We decided to do this last minutes as the price was so cheap we would actually save on accomodation and food, it was out of season so not sure how expensive these can get in.

If my memory serves me correctly we paid about 400rs each a day, that included everything. and by everything I mean a stodgy breakfast lunch and Dinner consisting of patato/Bread/veg and Chai.

Before I go any further I want to point out some must haves if your going into the desert for a few days....These are things I wish I had brought.

1. Sunscreen, I got annihilated by the sun within a few hours in the searing heat.

2.Matches and plenty of lighters, really annoying when you run out and you NEED a smoke.

3. Some kind of Shemagh or head scraf to keep the sun off.(Lawarance of Arabia style)

4. re-hydration packs, I brought one with me, and when I took it on my second day I honestly felt like a new man.

Ok so you can pretty much go anywhere in Pushkar and different operators will offer you treks, you really have to haggle with these guys, and you can afford to cause there are tons of the guys running these treks, for groups of 4 or more dont pay more than 500rs per day, groups of 3 or less should look to spend between 700-900rs per day.

We went from Pushjar to Jodhpur, I was travelling with 3 friends who I had met in Delhi and Agra, Adam(The pirate) Mike(Medusa) and Emil(the token Dane).At the start it was great fun, being on a camel was awesome, as you can imagine, but it took its toll on me after a few hours, my arse was killing me, luckiily we had two carts as well so when we got tired of sitting on the camel we would just switch.

on about the 3rd day the novelty had completely worn off and I fu**in' hated those camels(one of them tried to bite me) but they may have just been the heat getting to me.

If your planning on doing a trek similar to this, prepared to be pretty pissed off by the 3rd and fourth day, there's pretty much nothing to see except the odd random village you pass thru.

When we had arrived in Jodhpur I was overwhelmed I can honestly say it was one of the toughest and most enduring things I have ever had to do, tougher than climbing Half, Tougher than climing Kinabalue, tougher than hiking the Grand canyon. I had never been so mentally drained by the end of it. But man did I appreciate a cold shower when I checked into the hotel, and wearing fresh underware, having a toilet to shit in! It gave me a great appreciation for the small things that I take for granted.

When I look back now I just think of the good moment, sleeping under the stars with great mates, smoking the Chilum with the guides every night,waking up with the Sun every morning to a cup of steaming hot chai.... most definitely good times
hiumphrey the camel
first night, dinner prep
a school in the desert, these kids…

Check Pushkar Hotel Deals